PDA

View Full Version : BSOD

micbyte1
21-11-2006, 04:16 PM
I need some advice.... I am fixing my daughter's computer I built for her two years ago. She is a teenager so I am surprised it lasted this long.
Anyway she called saying she had BSOD with unmountable boot volume error message so I did an xp disk recovery chkdsk and bootfix It started to boot then got passed the windows screen and just hangs. what do you suggest I do I have computer knowledge I would say intermediate.
Thank you
:badpc:

pheonix
21-11-2006, 05:22 PM
Reload Windows over top of the original installation. That way you don't lose the installed programs etc.. Although you have to put the License number in and activate it again.

An easy follow through of how to do this here http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/Repair_Windows_XP-t138.html

stu161204
21-11-2006, 05:29 PM
Welcome to PressF1 micbyte1 :)

Speedy Gonzales
21-11-2006, 05:52 PM
I would check the IDE cable for the hdd.

See if its ok, if not replace it. Is it a IDE or SATA hdd?

MAC_H8ER
22-11-2006, 09:44 AM
Ive used this little trick many times to fix an unmountable boot BSOD:

1. boot off the Windows Setup CD and when it says "welcome to XP setup" Press R to load recovery console.
2. it may ask you for an administrators password if you have one - so enter it there
3 It chould now pop up with C:\> or C:\Windows>
Type CHKDSK /R (takes about 35-60 min depends on drive size e.c.t)
then when it is finished Type:
CHKDSK /P (takes about 3 min)
then FIXBOOT (press Y when prompted)

now take out the XP CD and reboot the PC - it should boot up as normal and all your data and programs will be intact :thumbs:

SolMiester
22-11-2006, 11:36 AM
Reload Windows over top of the original installation. That way you don't lose the installed programs etc.. Although you have to put the License number in and activate it again.

An easy follow through of how to do this here http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/Repair_Windows_XP-t138.html

Eh, I'm pretty sure even a repair of the XP o/s wipes program registry settings!, not to mention that if the admin account is the account that has been used previously, will also lose its docs!

pctek
22-11-2006, 05:06 PM
Eh, I'm pretty sure even a repair of the XP o/s wipes program registry settings!, not to mention that if the admin account is the account that has been used previously, will also lose its docs!

A Repair install doesn't affect anything ou have installed nor your settings etc.

A Repair install is NOT an install over the top. Thats a dirty install.

A Repair is just that - it repairs all the system files etc.

It will fix the Unmountable Boot.

drcspy
22-11-2006, 05:16 PM

wrong.........infact totally inaccurate...........

pctek may have hit the nail on the head there.....

SolMiester
22-11-2006, 06:07 PM
ooo, well, thats good news, my memory isnt what it once was. Good info to know.

Greg
23-11-2006, 12:26 AM
ooo, well, thats good news, my memory isnt what it once was. Good info to know.Yeah the previous two posts are right in my experience of the once I had to do a repair. It was a pretty painless process.

bk T
23-11-2006, 03:15 AM
Ive used this little trick many times to fix an unmountable boot BSOD:

1. boot off the Windows Setup CD and when it says "welcome to XP setup" Press R to load recovery console.
2. it may ask you for an administrators password if you have one - so enter it there
3 It chould now pop up with C:\> or C:\Windows>
Type CHKDSK /R (takes about 35-60 min depends on drive size e.c.t)
then when it is finished Type:
CHKDSK /P (takes about 3 min)
then FIXBOOT (press Y when prompted)

now take out the XP CD and reboot the PC - it should boot up as normal and all your data and programs will be intact :thumbs:

This may repair the damaged Windows but problem is, not many people remember their Administrator's password :(

Personally, I came across a dozen of people who just can't remember their passwords!

MAC_H8ER
23-11-2006, 09:18 AM
yeah thats true - on most of the PC's i have done it on i just press enter and it works :p - but yeah - its saved me from a world of trouble numerous times :thumbs: