PDA

View Full Version : Acer resolution???

borax
21-11-2006, 02:55 PM
I am working on an older Acer PC running Windows XP Home. It has a curious problem, if it is booted up with the monitor off it defaults to its maximum resolution (too high for the monitor its got). Its under warranty, i have just spoken to the shop (Harvey Norman) and they say it normal for Acers to do this. Call me cynical but i reckon he's talking rubbish, no other PC i've ever worked on has done this. By-the-way it does it whatever monitor is plugged in. I have uninstalled the graphics (onboard) and reinstalled with the most recent drivers, still no joy.
Can anyone advise please

cheers

pcuser42
21-11-2006, 03:58 PM
Have you tried pressing F8 when booting, then selecting the VGA option? Adjust the resolution from there.

SolMiester
21-11-2006, 04:00 PM
LOL, sounds like rubbish to me too....where do they get these guys?

If the monitor is turned on, does the pc boot up okay with acceptible resolution?

borax
21-11-2006, 04:09 PM
Yes, when i boot up with the monitor on the resolution stays to what i want it to be (1024 x 768), but if the monitor is off, the PC booted, and then the monitor is turned on the the resolution is at 1400 x something!!. I then have to go into display properties to change it back. A very annoying problem, im so sure this is a fault, but the guy at HN says ACERs do this :eek: and is giving me a hard time. He has said if it gets sent back and the waranty company find no fault they will charge $45.

SolMiester
21-11-2006, 04:22 PM
Is the res correct once windows loaded? Check display setting and that monitor is the actual monitor, not plug and play monitor.

I can think of no reason why the video card resolution would default to a higher res just because the monitor is switched off!!!

If you are under warranty, I would pursue it!