PDA

View Full Version : problems with pc

dconline
20-11-2006, 01:51 PM
Hi people my brothers pc is not displaying any images on the screen here are his specs

AMD Athlon 64Bit 3200+ CPU Socket 939
GA-K8NF9 NForce 4-4X PCI-E MB
512 DDR400
512 DDR400
160G 7200RPM 8M Seagate SATA HDD
LG 16X Double Layer DVD Writer
Eagle GeForce 6600 PCI-E Video Card
Colorsit case with 350W PSU
17" CMV LCD CT720D
Windows XP Home

we have confirmed that it is not the monitor, the computer runs but no display, this computer is 9 months old and has not had any hardware changes recently, can anybody help us? its driving us insane. the fan on the graphics card is working but no signal output.:badpc: :badpc: :badpc: :confused: :badpc:

chiefnz
20-11-2006, 01:59 PM
Do you get any video output in Safe Mode?

Try reseating the vid card and cables?

Are there any beeps coming from the PC when you power it on?

cheers

chiefnz

dconline
20-11-2006, 03:48 PM
i can see anything on the screen, i have tried resetting the graphics card multiple times, and cables. there are no strange sounds or beeps from his pc either which is strange, ill try putting my graphics card in it and see what happens.

dconline
20-11-2006, 04:21 PM
i have tried my graphics card in his pc, it seamed to work fine i decided to take it out before he got any ideas , his graphics card works in my pc which i thought was strange... when i put it back in i made sure that it was in properly, i have done this 3 times now to make sure its in there properly, there is no dust in the slot.

i cant see anything the screen doesn't show any picture. it doesn't make any beeping sounds at the beginning, this is messed up..... ill try again now to see if it is something that i did. i have a spare psu somewhere i will try test it with that... the place that he brought it from was ETC hamilton, this has now closed down do you guys think that ETC auckland would help me out?

hi again i just put my brothers 6600GT into my pc, it went fine, and vise verser. could it be that the 6600 is not getting enough power from his mobo? my 7900 has a cable that get plugged into the end to give it more power... could it be that his mobo is faulty? the graphics card was deffernenty pugged in properly hen i put his card back into his pc.

Pete O'Neil
20-11-2006, 05:15 PM
So you've tryed your 7900 in his PC? Try your PSU in his PC to make sure its not at fault. If its not the PSU then chances are the motherboard is faulty.

dconline
20-11-2006, 07:31 PM
yes i tried a 320w psu but no luck i will try mine tomorrow, if not i guess its the mobo, i will have to find out how to get a replacement... the place i got it from has shut down (ETC Hamilton). there is a ETC in Auckland do you think that these people will help? its random how my graphics card works in it but his graphics card doesn't.

drcspy
20-11-2006, 08:18 PM
320watts is not enuf for that hardware

pctek
20-11-2006, 08:23 PM
PSU or Graphics card slot (MB)

dconline
20-11-2006, 08:57 PM
320watts is not enuf for that hardware

yea i guessed that thats why im going to try my 430w tomorrow.

PSU or Graphics card slot

yea this is what i thought it was because it seams to be struggling for power. my 430w will be the test, if this fails i will try get a replacement mobo, (under warranty)

thanks guys ill keep you up to date with the situation

SolMiester
20-11-2006, 09:03 PM
yea i guessed that thats why im going to try my 430w tomorrow.

yea this is what i thought it was because it seams to be struggling for power. my 430w will be the test, if this fails i will try get a replacement mobo, (under warranty)

thanks guys ill keep you up to date with the situation
If its the vanilla 6600 (not GT) 320w PSU is fine.

dconline
20-11-2006, 09:34 PM
its a Gt model 6600GT, sorry for the confusion

dconline
21-11-2006, 10:55 AM
ok guys i know know that it is not the psu, so my next guess is the motherboard... my 430w psu didn't work in it either, any ideas on how i would test it to find out if it is the mobo or graphics card?

zqwerty
21-11-2006, 11:06 AM
But I thought that you ran your graphx card successfully in the faulty computer and the supposedly faulty graphx card in your computer successfully?

The_End_Of_Reality
21-11-2006, 11:15 AM
Swapping the GFX cards is the best way to test if it is either GFX card or mobo, if the card is faulty then they test PC will have the problem... if that works, you can rule out the GFX card. but if you test a working GFX card in the problem PC and it doesn't work, I would be looking at the mobo...

I had a little problem with my PC hanging during POST this morning, but I left it for an hour with no power (unplugged from the wall) and turned it all on again and she was sweet :D but during this the GFX card fan was going nuts, does the GFX card in the problem PC do this?

Oops, I just re-read the thread and you have tested the GFX cards :blush:

J_Joyce
21-11-2006, 11:21 AM
spoke to dconline yesterday morning. As of janurary this year when his brother purchased the pc 6600GT included, everything had been running perfect. The pc was working the day before no problems and no changes had been made before attempting to switching it on the next morning.

dconline
21-11-2006, 12:23 PM
But I thought that you ran your graphx card successfully in the faulty computer and the supposedly faulty graphx card in your computer successfully?

yes corect

zqwerty
21-11-2006, 01:49 PM
So the problem is that a graphics card that used to work in the computer still does in another computer and the computer that cannot run its original graphics card will run with another graphics card.

Hmmmmm. Something does not compute. Are you sure that the substitute PSU test was valid?

Swap the two graphics cards around and call it a day. Observe behaviour of both computers over a period of time and see what unfolds.

Brute force repairing by jockeying boards without reflection is not a good idea, take some time to analyse this fault. What's the hurry?

dconline
21-11-2006, 04:50 PM
i got my hands on a (new) 6200gt to try in it and its still a no go... so it has to be the motherboard.

dconline
21-11-2006, 04:52 PM
theres no way im giving my brother my graphics card, lol, and the psu that i put into it to test it was out of my pc