PDA

View Full Version : Saving a distribution list into Microsoft Outlook?

caffy
20-11-2006, 09:03 AM
Hi,

I've been emailled a updated distribution list, with a LOT of emails in it, from my colleague's Outlook address book on her computer. I would like to know how to save it into my Outlook's address book?

I've tried saving, but it saves into My Documents folder - I have a feeling I should be saving into the same folder the Outlook uses...but I cannot find this. Could someone tell me wherebouts I would be able to find it?

Thanks for your help.
caffy

Speedy Gonzales
20-11-2006, 09:10 AM
Import it. What format did u save it as?

caffy
20-11-2006, 10:01 AM
As far as I can see, it's a "Outlook Item" (under Type). I'll try importing it.

caffy
20-11-2006, 10:06 AM
When saving it, i can only either save it as "All Files" or "Message Files". I've saved it as message files...

I just tried to import it, but I have lots of options
1) Export to a file
2) Import a VCARD file (.vcf)
3) Import an iCalendar or vCalendar file (.vcs)
4) Import from another programme or file
5) Import Internet Mail Account Settings
6) Import Internet Mail and Addresses

Which one do I choose? I can't import a VCARD file, as it doesn't recognise the list I saved.

Speedy Gonzales
20-11-2006, 10:20 AM
Do u mean an eml file? Like what OE saves distribution lists as (So, I just found out).

Speedy Gonzales
20-11-2006, 10:41 AM
Ah this (http://www.oemailrecovery.com/faq-import-eml-to-outlook.html) may help you, if its an eml file you're trying to import.

johcar
20-11-2006, 11:17 AM
If this is a full copy of Outlook (not OE) and a fairly recent one - 2002 or 2003 - and the Distibution List has been created using either version, you should be able to resize the email window you recieved with the Distribution List in it so you can see the attachment, resize your Outlook window and have your Contacts open and just drag the attachment and drop it into your Contacts. Easy peasy. ;)

caffy
20-11-2006, 11:18 AM
I think it it's saved as .msg

And im using Outlook, not Outlook express - are they the same in terms of importing etc?

Thanks for that website but unfortunately i can't open it through work computer, it is blocked by the administrators...

Speedy Gonzales
20-11-2006, 11:22 AM
That maybe why it wont work then if its a work PC.

Anyway this is what the link says.

Question: How to import messages saved as .eml files into Microsoft Outlook?

Answer:

Messages saved as .eml files are imported into Microsoft Outlook in several steps. You should:

Import .eml files into Outlook Express folders. To do it, you should open Outlook Express and Windows Explorer at the same time.

Select .eml files in Windows Explorer using the Shift + arrow keys or the Ctrl key + the left mouse button.

Use your mouse to drag the selected .eml files to the Outlook Express folder.
Note: it is recommended to create a new folder in Outlook Express to import messages into.

Open Microsoft Outlook 2000 and select the File | Import & Export item in the main menu of the program.

Select the Import Internet Mail and Addresses item and click the Next button
Select the Outlook Express 4.x, 5 item from the list, leave the Import Mail checkbox selected and click the Finish button

caffy
20-11-2006, 12:16 PM
umm, I don't have Outlook Express on this computer.
Plus i note that it is about saving messages into Outlook? I'm asking how to save an address book into Outlook...

Sorry that I'm confused here - just not clear about this because it's about saving messages...into Outlook Express which I don't have.

caffy
20-11-2006, 12:25 PM
If this is a full copy of Outlook (not OE) and a fairly recent one - 2002 or 2003 - and the Distibution List has been created using either version, you should be able to resize the email window you recieved with the Distribution List in it so you can see the attachment, resize your Outlook window and have your Contacts open and just drag the attachment and drop it into your Contacts. Easy peasy. ;)

Just saw this. Your suggestion worked, thanks heaps!