PDA

View Full Version : USB/Flash Drive Path Invalid

lizelle
19-11-2006, 06:59 PM
I have a new 1Gb "My Flash" USB Drive that only won't work in my home computer.

I have tried the USB Drive in 5 other computers/laptops and it works fine. Have also tried other brand USB Drives in the same USB port in my home computer and they work fine. Have also tried the My Flash USB Drive in different USB ports in my home computer and it still doesn't work. So it just seems to be specifically the combination of the new "My Flash" Drive and my home computer that doesn't work.

The computer recognises the drive and displays a "Removable Disk (E:)" menu. But when I tried to open a file it comes up with messages such as "File could not be found" or "Path/Filename invalid". Then often the files in the E: menu disappear and the drive suggests that it has nothing on it. The files don't actually delete off the USB Drive, my computer just doesn't seem to see them anymore.

My computer runs Windows XP. I have tried disabling the Norton Anti-Virus but still no luck.

Any ideas would be most appreciated.

trig42
20-11-2006, 09:25 AM
Can you see it in disk management (right click on My Computer -> Manage -> Disk Management)?

Try assigning a different drive letter to it (by right clicking on the drive in Disk Management and choosing change Drive Letter and Paths).

Jimmy D
20-11-2006, 10:20 AM
haha, i have the same problem with my usb drive except it ONLY works in my computer.... whats that all about?

tedheath
20-11-2006, 10:45 AM
Had the same problem with memory sticks, work on some computers not on others.
If you do get the computer to reconize the drive it will still cause you grief late on. You will get lockups and lose stuff on the stick
What I do with them is stick them under the rear wheel of my truck and drive over them and go buy another type.

tedheath

lizelle
20-11-2006, 09:18 PM
Thanks for your suggestion trig42. Tried exactly as you suggested, managed to change the drive from E: to K:, but still get the same invalid file/path messages. I also tried Formatting it on my computer, then sent some files from the computer to the USB drive. They made it to the USB Drive, but when I tried to open them from there, same old story!!