PDA

View Full Version : trun an old computer into an adsl router

heni72847
19-11-2006, 01:54 PM
not really sure how a adsl router or modem works..
but i'm just wondering if i can actually make an adsl router just from spare computer parts?? or does it require special hardware that software can't subsitute?

i looked at some linux distros and from them it feels like they all require a internal adsl modem
i was thinking of just using a network card with a little rewiring to make the phone plug fit, then let software to do rest of the work

so.. is it actually possible to make it out of network cards or does it always require special hardware (aka adsl modem)??

Graham L
19-11-2006, 02:43 PM
No, you can't (as yet). Yes, it does (as yet).

You can make a router out of a computer. A router is just a computer which running appropriate software.

The data transmission method used in ADSL is not even remotely like Ethernet.

My initial response was "No, never". But thinking about it there is a way that you could programme computing hardware to be an ADSL modem. But not an "old computer". You would need, even now with multi gigahertz clock speeds, real DSP ("digital signal processing") hardware. Sony (and probably other manufacturers) sell communications receivers which can handle all modes, up to 1300 MHz or so. A "black box" contains the DSP and uses a PC as the front panel. The programming would be not easy.

A real ADSL modem/router or an ADSL modem and a computer running router software will be much cheaper. Probably, that will always be the case.

Pete O'Neil
19-11-2006, 08:14 PM
You probably get a cheap PCI ADSL modem off trademe, and along with a spare NIC and the right Linux distro you could easily put together a homemade ADSL router.

Theres no way you could convert a NIC into a ADSL modem, for what your suggesting you would need an internal modem.

Erayd
19-11-2006, 10:51 PM
Also bear in mind the power costs - an embedded device costs far less to run than an old desktop.

trig42
20-11-2006, 09:54 AM
But with an old desktop, assuming you have an ADSL modem, you can get a lot more customisation - Better firewalls, bandwidth shaping and management, proxy caching and even mail/web serving and you learn a lot from setting it up.

heni72847
20-11-2006, 03:42 PM
ic.. well..i was thinking of setting one up just to compare speed with my dse adsl router because some people say that after they changed adsl modem/router their internet speed increased

haha..but if i need to buy a new internal adsl modem them that kills the whole point of this project.. the idea was to make it from scrap parts and have software doing the job..

thanx for the replies though..might set one up with firewall and possibly nas in the future