PDA

View Full Version : how to connect friend in network ?

hotkiwi
19-11-2006, 10:57 AM
Hi guys,
have a friend here from overseas. he wants to coonect to my (unprotected) wireless network. Connection is great, easy to connect and his system shows that he is in my network. However he does not get internet access. Now why would that be. it is a simple open system and all parameters look to be set right. can you help? Cheers

Speedy Gonzales
19-11-2006, 11:06 AM
Could be a firewall stopping access.

Well I wouldnt go on a unprotected network. And I wouldnt leave it as an open system.

Anyone will be able to go onto it, and you wouldnt know.

Change it to WPA, or something better than WEP. And password protect it.

Have u got a wireless router? Are you on broadband?

tweak'e
19-11-2006, 11:23 AM
what sort of internet connection do you have?
how is it setup?

also i shouldn't need to remind anyone if its open for a friend then its open for anyone else and you may have to bare the consequence.

hotkiwi
19-11-2006, 11:37 AM
i know about security but my closest neigbours are 2 km away and there is no easy access to my place, so that is safe.
I am using a simple DSL connection, Alcatel modem, belkin wireless pre N router, all my computers were connected within minutes. this one resists. says the network connection is great, but no internet access.
Cheers and thanks

Speedy Gonzales
19-11-2006, 11:47 AM
No it isnt safe. Even if u think it is.

People using laptops would also be able to access it.

If the router can have MAC addresses added to it, try adding the mates MAC address to it. And get him to configure it properly. It could be that ICS isnt or cant be enabled on your system so the net can be shared.

Helplesss
19-11-2006, 11:59 AM
I take it you have set the default gateway address on his comp?

snoopy
19-11-2006, 12:12 PM
Try inputting the DNS settings manually into your friends PC.

berryb
19-11-2006, 12:28 PM
Try to either set the tcp/ip connection for the wireless link from your mates PC to either "automatically get the IP address" or set it up manually.

As far as the wireless security goes, I too have an open wireless network. Closest neighbour is 1km away and if someone wants to park down my gravel no exit road and try to steal my bandwidth and data then good on them.

hotkiwi
19-11-2006, 07:20 PM
Now after long time searching, the only difference we find between hios laptop and mine is that there is a slight difference in the 'default gateway'. the fourth block of the IP shows a one instead of a 2 if compared to the other computers in the network.
But how to change the default gateway ?

cheers

pheonix
19-11-2006, 08:06 PM
On the visitors PC, right-click the connection and select Properties.
Double-click Internet Protocol TCP/IP.
Click on Advanced button.
Under default gateways heading, hit the Add button.
Enter your gateway IP number.

That should get them sorted for the gateway.

trig42
20-11-2006, 09:00 AM
On the visitors PC, right-click the connection and select Properties.
Double-click Internet Protocol TCP/IP.
Click on Advanced button.
Under default gateways heading, hit the Add button.
Enter your gateway IP number.

That should get them sorted for the gateway.

First though, check that both the IP Address and DNS server fields are set to obtain address automatically.

You shouldn't need anything in the Default gateways fields (under the advanced tab), so if there is something there, either remove it, or as pheonix said, add your Gateway address.