PDA

View Full Version : Installing Xp on a Sata 250GB HDD on 2nd Partition

CCF
18-11-2006, 07:45 PM
Hello Everyone :)

Currently I have 2 IDE HDDs, where one of them have one WinXP installed, which I'm using at the moment. Just recently I went and brought a SATA 250GB HDD. Had that installed and paritioned (1part-200GB, 2part-50GB) with Seagate's Wizard Tool thingy. What I want to do now is to install another WinXP on the 2nd partition on the SATA drive. The problem that I'm having is that when XP asks you to select which partition you want install Xp on, for the SATA drive I only have one partition which is 137GB.

Any idea on how I can go about installing XP on the 2nd partition on the SATA HDD? The WinXP CD I have is very old, no SP1 included :(

Btw in the current WinXP, I can see everything, all HDD with full capacity.

Many thanks :)

snoopy
19-11-2006, 07:46 AM
http://www.largeharddrivesupport.windowsreinstall.com/index.htm

pctek
19-11-2006, 09:08 AM
So what you do is do it the other way around. Make C: of this new drive the small partition and put Windows on that, leaving the remaining space unpartitioned until you have SP2 etc on it then you can partition the rest later from within Windows.

Secondly, I hope you removed the first drive first, because XP doesn't like having 2 bootable O/Ss the same in the same system.

CCF
19-11-2006, 10:01 AM
Ah i see i see, why didnt I think of that :thumbs:

Many thanks