PDA

View Full Version : on Bootup "Pressf1 to resume"

mark c
18-11-2006, 10:35 AM
This happens on a friend's comp, I 've had a look around but can't
find anything definite. Maybe bad connections, could disable "fast boot". Seems to happen often enough from postings I've seen around but as I said nothing definite as to cause and cure. The comp still works fine, just at some stage during the bootup (haven't seen it myself yet) this "pressf1 to resume' comes up withoput any other info / error messages etc. Anyone got any ideas about this ?

TIA m

pheonix
18-11-2006, 11:11 AM
A possibility is that the CMOS battery is getting a little low and losing a setting.

If you have a meter, it may be worth a measure, or even a spare battery.

mark c
18-11-2006, 01:11 PM
Yeah that's what I've thought about that computer - kept getting the time and date wrong too. I do have a meter, I'll check it out. Thanks very much.........m

stu161204
18-11-2006, 01:36 PM
If the computer cant keep correct time, then these a good change the CMOS battery is on its last legs.

Rob99
18-11-2006, 02:05 PM
Setting in the BIOS; halt on none

Graham L
18-11-2006, 03:05 PM
If the time and date are being lost, that's (usually ;) ) a certain indication that the lithium button cell is dead. The BIOS can often still keep its settings for a while after that stage.

The "F1 to Continue" option uses default settings, and autodetects a hard disk, but it doesn't save the settings. As a test, try going into the BIOS setting routine, then saving. That should reboot properly if you don't leave it off for too long. ;)

But assume that you need to change the lithium cell.

Rob99: If the battery is dead, it will lose that "halt on none" setting too. :cool:

mark c
19-11-2006, 12:42 AM
Thank you very much all of you for these responses. Dammit I had earlier thought about this comp that it was v. likely to be the CMOS battery but as I have not had any experience of fiddling around with these I guess to be honest |I was trying to avoid it. (I am one of those amateur freinds that help out that so often get dissed upon here.) Sooo my next thing is to get familiar with testing and changing these batteries, whooooo.

Never had a ballsup yet. Well OK once, but with later knowledge gained could have done it, well OK everybody could say that provided they can learn.

Thanks.............m