PDA

View Full Version : Replacing Laptop Backlight

not.my.s0ck
17-11-2006, 06:37 PM
I recently got a laptop off trademe but the backlights out and I somehow need to fix it. The model is a HP Omnibook EX3 GF. I'd like to repair it myself if its not too difficult but otherwise I'd send it in somewhere to get repaired as long as it doesnt cost too much.

Can anyone help?

somebody
17-11-2006, 06:47 PM
Spare parts for a laptop are generally quite expensive. You may be better off trying to find an identical laptop which is broken (except for the backlight), and then swapping parts out of that.

As for how hard it is, I have never done it, but you do see sites overseas advertising do-it-yourself kits for replacing backlights.

not.my.s0ck
17-11-2006, 06:58 PM
Spare parts for a laptop are generally quite expensive. You may be better off trying to find an identical laptop which is broken (except for the backlight), and then swapping parts out of that.

As for how hard it is, I have never done it, but you do see sites overseas advertising do-it-yourself kits for replacing backlights.
Thank you for your quick reply.

Do you think that it would cost more than $100?

CYaBro
18-11-2006, 12:13 PM
It sounds like the inverter for the LCD is dead.
I have tried to get these in the past for HP / Compaq notebooks but they don't sell them as a separate part and you have to purchase a whole LCD screen which can cost a lot. Probably in the region of $400-$500.

Graham L
18-11-2006, 03:00 PM
A while ago there was someone selling the inverters on Trademe. They are available overseas.

It's possible to do it yourself. A few years performing microsurgery would be a good preparation. ;)

trinsic
18-11-2006, 04:40 PM
I done it to my Compaq V2000. I got a inverter off TM and I was very lucky because I was quoted $400+ from VG(hp warrenty).

Some soldering may be required.