PDA

View Full Version : Orcon IP address

Mike773
17-11-2006, 05:44 PM
I've just joined Orcon and I've noticed that my IP address resolves to an address of: port-xxx-xxx-xxx-xxx.jet.net.nz (where xxx etc is my IP address).

I would have assume it should end in Orcon.net.nz. I went to www.jet.net.nz but couldn't see any reference to Orcon.

I tried emailing the helpdesk but they just emailed back asking me to provide: name, address, phone number, username, account number and date of birth. A bit overboard for the type of question I was asking since it's not really related to my particular account. I'm surprised they didn't ask for my bank account number and PIN as well! Anyway, I'm not giving them all that info in an unsecured email, so I told them to forget it.

So maybe the experts at Press-F1 can enlighten me? :thumbs:

Mike773
17-11-2006, 05:50 PM
P.S....

Don't know why I didn't do this before, but a WHOIS shows that jet.net.nz belongs to Orcon. Still seems a bit strange though...

Terry Porritt
17-11-2006, 07:11 PM
Hmm... I'm still waiting for a reply from their help as to what is the format for the user name to enter into an adsl modem, I couldn't find that info on their site, they presumably gave you that info Mike773 ?

What plan are you on, and what do your speeds look like?

It looks for me that I wont be connected now with them until sometime after the weekend.

Mike773
17-11-2006, 08:23 PM
Yeah. There's a lot of "funny/smart arse" FAQs on the site but nothing to say what the modem settings should be etc.. Luckily I moved from another ISP so just had to change the username and password.

Username is your Orcon email address.

ADSL router reports a 7Meg connection, but the speed tests report about 4. This is in Three Kings, Auckland. I'm on the "Zero Shock" Full Down/128k Up plan.

Terry Porritt
17-11-2006, 08:37 PM
Thanks Mike. With some ISPs, the user name includes dsl or xdsl into the email address.

I'm looking forward to what an Orcon connection will do.

DangerousDave
17-11-2006, 11:05 PM
I *think* it's doing a reverse-whois. Jetnet or whatever is probably just an ISP that uses Orcons goods (read: IP addresses), so a specific range of IP addresses is assigned as owned by Jetnet (their responsibility?), but Orcon still sees them as part of their subnet and still assigns them to Orcon customers.

Or magic. IP is just magic.

jesse_jax
18-11-2006, 02:09 AM
I tried emailing the helpdesk but they just emailed back asking me to provide: name, address, phone number, username, account number and date of birth. A bit overboard for the type of question I was asking since it's not really related to my particular account. I'm surprised they didn't ask for my bank account number and PIN as well!

heh, its funny when i ring helpdesk about something non-related to my acc(which is actually my mums acc but...im the only one who uses the comp).

there like.. acc date of birth, phone number, adress etc, mothers maiden name lol and i give it all to them cause i can easily see it all or already know it all on orcon.net.nz's acc page thing, lol then there like, ''well, im sorry we cant speak to anyone other than the acc holder about this'' and im all like ''yeah well, i dont care, i didnt ring you to give you my account details now did i, i didnt SAY i was the account holder, im simply ringing you cause the service you proive ME but not neccesarily is PAID by me, is having problems, got it?'' ''ok, so whats your problem then sir..''

hehehehhe