PDA

View Full Version : mix ECC & non-ECC?

BillIrwin
16-11-2006, 08:05 AM
Hi

I have a Gigabyte 81955X Pro with 2 x 1 GB Kingston Valueram DDR2-533 ECC, with the bios set to enable ECC. Can I add similar memory that is non ECC? I assume I would set the bios to nonECC mode. Googling seems to give conflicting advice if this is a good idea or not, but it is a lot cheaper at the moment.

thanks, Bill

pctek
16-11-2006, 12:42 PM
Try it, take it in to the shop you're buying it from and try it first. I'd say you can if you are able to disable it in the BIOS.

BillIrwin
16-11-2006, 01:29 PM
Try it, take it in to the shop you're buying it from and try it first. I'd say you can if you are able to disable it in the BIOS.

hey thanks for the reply - the snag is I saw this memory *cheap* at an online store. I want to order it and know it is very likely to work. I suspect it will like you, especially as it is same brand, same speed etc, just not ECC. But if there are likely to be problems it won't be a bargain...

tweak'e
16-11-2006, 09:43 PM
ECC ram is generally very exspencive and only used on critical pc's eg servers etc. also you mention you have 2gig of ram allready. for 99% of pc's thats overkill allready.

why do you need more ram?

the reason i ask is if its a server or similar then its best to get ECC ram, if its a home pc then don't bother with adding any more ram.

BillIrwin
16-11-2006, 10:18 PM
> why do you need more ram?

I work with Photoshop on files that are 4 - 500 mb in size. It can crawl if I get a lot of layers going. I'm getting a lot of writing to disk swap files so would rather keep that in RAM. When I built the box last year the ECC RAM wasn't much different in price so i installed it - live & learn i guess, it was overkill that has come back to bite me!

Bill

pctek
17-11-2006, 07:53 AM
hey thanks for the reply - the snag is I saw this memory *cheap* at an online store.

Generally not a good idea. Cheap often means nasty too - and warranty issues? You're not looking at SuperCheap Computers are you? Avoid.

Get some non-ECC decent RAM, all the good stuff has 5 year warranty. ANd no, I don't mean the Corsair and OCZ stuff....