PDA

View Full Version : Dynamic disc with xp professional (help)

groovyll
16-11-2006, 06:59 AM
I have just reformated my 80gb harddrive and reloaded windows xp pro. But I can't get my back up 300gb harddrive back on line. When I had xp running last time (before formatting) I set up my 300gb drive as dynamic and put all my documents and back up files on it but xp pro won't let me use that drive. I go into disk management (it takes a while about 2mins) and it shows d drive there but says unreadable and dynamic.
Is there anyway i can get my data back??
The idea I had was to unplug my 80gb drive that is master and make 300gb master leaving 80gb unplugged and try to reload xp pro then plug my 80gb drive back in after making 80gb slave. When loading xp pro back on I will leave data on 300gb drive so hopefully all my data will stay they for me to access??
Is this the best way for me to retreive my data??

SurferJoe46
16-11-2006, 07:34 AM
I have never heard of this..not at all..but I am old and might have forgotten it.

Let me get this straight, and then I'll lurk this post for a while to see what happens:

You want to hot swap a new drive into your system when XP is already running and you expect the new hdd to gather enough info and data to run XP in a dynamic mode from that?

Hmmmm...interesting...as it would remove a lot of extra drive files, unused and unnecessary garbage that exists in the bloated XP install....sounds neat...I will be watching.....

Speedy Gonzales
16-11-2006, 07:47 AM
This guy (http://www.thesupernews.com/a/10/Dynamic%20disk%20unreadable.php) had the same prob.

Looks like he used diskprobe, which is on the Win 2k / XP CD (in the support tools folder) to fix it.

Info on how to do it is here (http://faq.arstechnica.com/link.php?i=1806)

It also looks like dymanic disks are usually used in RAID, which by the looks of it, you're not using.

groovyll
16-11-2006, 06:07 PM
How do I get my computer back to using raid??

Speedy Gonzales
16-11-2006, 06:56 PM
Was in it RAID before?

If it was, was RAID enabled in the BIOS?? If the mobo supports RAID?

pctek
16-11-2006, 07:04 PM
http://vlaurie.com/computers2/Articles/harddrive3.htm

Dynamic disks
The contents of a file can be split across physically distinct hard drives. Here are some different types of volume.

So in effect its a software RAID.
I think that was a bad idea.

groovyll
16-11-2006, 07:37 PM
How can i recover my data now??(who thought of dynamis disc anyway bloody studip idea. I read it in pcworld magazine and sounded like a good idea, boy do regret that now. The data i need to recover is for buisines and very valuable. If the article i read said there were risks i never would have set my 300gb drive as dynamic.)??

BIFF
17-11-2006, 03:14 PM
XP will require SP2 to address a disk of this size. Have you applied SP2?

groovyll
17-11-2006, 05:09 PM
Yes I think seatools did this for me. You mean change bios setting so that computer can read drive larger than 137gb??

groovyll
17-11-2006, 05:17 PM
Sorry no I just checked and only have service pack 1 am downloading sp2 now do you think this will work to get my 300gb drive back on line with all my data???

groovyll
17-11-2006, 08:24 PM
Yes I have sp2 now but still no better off the next step is to try my 300gb hard drive through usb but I am not holding my breath. **** all I want is to retrieve my important data then set the drive back to basic how come its so bloody hard??

Speedy Gonzales
17-11-2006, 08:48 PM
Well did u try that link I posted to see if that wld work?