PDA

View Full Version : Will a new modem help ?

kingping
15-11-2006, 11:42 PM
i currently use the Xtra DLINK 302G modem free with the BB package. i was wondering if i upgraded my modem will i experience better speeds? i also experience frequent disconnections.

if i should upgrade my modem, which modem should i upgrade to? ill only be using this via enthernet on 1 computer in the house. no wireless is required.

thanx alot in advance

mikebartnz
16-11-2006, 12:02 AM
i currently use the Xtra DLINK 302G modem free with the BB package. i was wondering if i upgraded my modem will i experience better speeds? i also experience frequent disconnections.

if i should upgrade my modem, which modem should i upgrade to? ill only be using this via enthernet on 1 computer in the house. no wireless is required.

thanx alot in advance
The odds are that your OS etc. are going to have more effect than the modem.

kingping
16-11-2006, 08:41 AM
my OS? i run xp ... and have been for awhile now, is there a problem with it?

trig42
16-11-2006, 09:02 AM
Do you know how to get into the diagnostics/status page on your modem?

Usually you type http://10.1.1.1/ into your browser address bar and it brings up a home page for your modem.

If you can get into 'advanced' then WAN -> DSL Status -> DSL Param. and let us know the figures for Local Line Attenuation, Remote Line Atten., Local Line SNR and Remote Line SNR. (See ftp://files.dlink.com.au/products/DSL-302G_TX/REV_C/Manuals//v4.00/DSL-302G_Manual_v4.00.pdf pages 36 and 37). These numbers will be able to tell us if your connection to the exchange is any good.

The_End_Of_Reality
16-11-2006, 10:11 AM
I have the same modem, I also experience disconnections but only when too many connections are going through the modem (torrents etc)

How far are you from the exchange? have you talked to T/C about it? what speeds are you getting?

The 302g is a 9V modem and I have heard (not confirmed) that a 12V modem such as the Linksys WAG54G (example) Will get a better signal, bear in mind I have NOT confirmed this, but from what I know about electronics and attenuation this is possible

Nermal
16-11-2006, 12:34 PM
The 302g is a 9V modem and I have heard (not confirmed) that a 12V modem such as the Linksys WAG54G (example) Will get a better signal, bear in mind I have NOT confirmed this, but from what I know about electronics and attenuation this is possible

Interesting, I've never heard that, but my 16 V modem is significantly more reliable than the 9 (or was it 12?) V one that TelstraClear gave me.

Greg
16-11-2006, 12:39 PM
[edit] I didn't read the question properly.

I doubt your modem will be the choke point.

The_End_Of_Reality
16-11-2006, 01:26 PM
Interesting, I've never heard that, but my 16 V modem is significantly more reliable than the 9 (or was it 12?) V one that TelstraClear gave me. Reliability is a different thing, this relys more on the brand/model, not the voltage of it I would think

BTW what is the 16V modem?

kingping
16-11-2006, 05:06 PM
hey to the guy who was asking for my stats

local attn: 63dB
remote attn: 31dB
local SNR: 13dB
remote SNR: 24dB

thanx

SolMiester
16-11-2006, 05:37 PM
Hi Kingping, those numbers look high to me, for the local attn anyway, did a different jack point or a different RJ11 cable.

If thats the Telecom unit they hand out free, just about anything is a better 1. I think their is a firmware upgrade flash for those, which may make it more reliable.

As for getting a new 1, if I were you, I would get a wireless capable router, you never know when you may need it, plenty of devices out there now can communicate wireless nowadays and you can all disable while not needed.

pctek
16-11-2006, 07:09 PM
How far are you from the exchange?

It makes no difference with a lot of people:
Mine:
SNR: Upstream 5 Downstream 28
Attenuation: Upstream 4 Downstream 0

See??

The_End_Of_Reality
16-11-2006, 07:38 PM
But if you are far away (4Km or further etc) the copper wires can not carry the signal as strongly as shorter distances, I am unable to say why it does for you being so close...

PaulD
16-11-2006, 07:41 PM
Hi Kingping, those numbers look high to me, for the local attn anyway, did a different jack point or a different RJ11 cable.

The attenuation figures will more likely refer to Downstream ( Higher because the frequencies are higher) and Upstream (Lower frequencies that aren't as affected by cable losses) ADSL not local as in local in house cabling.

kingping
16-11-2006, 08:31 PM
well im about roughly 3km from my nearest exchange, and on my main modem console when i type in 10.1.1.1 it says DS attn is 31dB and my US attn is 64 dB.

i have no idea why my upload is more than twice of the download.

PaulD
16-11-2006, 08:45 PM
Does seem weird. My first thought would be to borrow another modem and see if it gives different figures. There's so many free modems floating around, someone you know is bound to have one. You aren't that far from the exchange and 64dB would be too high for 3km

linw
16-11-2006, 09:08 PM
I've had experience with two of these modems, much of it bad, on a proven good line. They both were unreliable, locking up regularly. With the first one, I upgraded its firmware and it was much better - tolerable, even! The second was also updated but it just won't act reliably no matter what I try. Rubbish bin material. (The fault seems to be that they won't reconnect reliably when they get disconnected).

My advice, FWIW, is to try updating the firmware, if it isn't the latest, and if it is still unreliable, ditch it asap.

The_End_Of_Reality
17-11-2006, 09:27 AM
I just stumbled into my modem from the outside :p so I decided to have a look at my attenuation stats and these are them:

Downstream Upstream
Attenuation 31.0dB 63.0dB
Connection rate 2240 Kbps 160 Kbps

And as you can see, my US is double my DS too...

kingping
17-11-2006, 09:32 AM
I just stumbled into my modem from the outside :p so I decided to have a look at my attenuation stats and these are them:

Downstream Upstream
Attenuation 31.0dB 63.0dB
Connection rate 2240 Kbps 160 Kbps

And as you can see, my US is double my DS too...

these stats are exactly same as mine lol

Buff_K
18-11-2006, 11:18 AM
I swapped from my free telecom modem to the free Ihug one (502t?) and thank the lord for that, let me tell ya. What a difference it made.

I was completely unable to surf the net with a torrent client open with the old one, now its good as gold. And my torrents coming down nicely too.