PDA

View Full Version : where does wireless card fit?

newb.
15-11-2006, 01:52 AM
you know the way that when you plug a wifi card into a laptop? like into the ethernet port - or whatever.. where about on the motherboard or where does that actually go into? card reader possibly?

pcuser42
15-11-2006, 07:32 AM
It depends on the type of card. If it's a PCI, it can go in the motherboard no problems. If it is a card for laptops, you need an adapter for a desktop.

trinsic
15-11-2006, 10:01 AM
I guess you mean PCMCIA for a Laptop which Desktops do not usually have (or if at all).

Nomad
15-11-2006, 10:50 AM
Those PCMCIA (PC CARD) converted to PCI for a PC are expensive. You mind as well buy a new PCI card or USB so you can use on both computers but not at the same time of course.

Yeah you can get PCMCIA for PCs if you buy a special adaptor and that runs to the drive compartment under the DVD Drive, bit like how the multiple memory card reader are done.

pcuser42
15-11-2006, 04:03 PM
I've also seen one which fits into the PCI slot.

Graham L
15-11-2006, 04:05 PM
There seems to be some confusion here. I think the questioner wants to know where a WiFi adapter fits in a laptop. :D

It depends. Some laptops have a "mini PCI" socket which might be under a removable panel, or under the keyboard. A standard PCI adapter does not fit in that. There are USB and PCMCIA adapters which plug into the appropriate socket. I don't think there are any which connect to Ethernet connectors.