PDA

View Full Version : sata 1 MB sata 2 hd

nigelw
14-11-2006, 11:05 PM
Does anyone know where I can buy an adaptor that will allow me to connect a sata 2 hard drive to a sata 1 motherboard. My local computer shop don't seem to know!

The_End_Of_Reality
15-11-2006, 12:18 AM
Sigh... the reason the don't know is because you don't need them!! all SATA II HDDs can be used on SATA I mobos... all you need is to change a jumper that is on the HDD to force it to run at SATA I speeds.

pcuser42
15-11-2006, 07:30 AM
Cheap, ain't it? :D

Speedy Gonzales
15-11-2006, 09:15 AM
It'll just run @ SATA 1 speed, since the system doesnt support SATA 2.

So, really it was pointless getting a SATA 2 hdd in the first place.

trinsic
15-11-2006, 09:53 AM
SATA II Harddrives run stock SATA I anyway :)

You need to change jumpers to get it running at II.

The_End_Of_Reality
15-11-2006, 12:13 PM
SATA II Harddrives run stock SATA I anyway :)

You need to change jumpers to get it running at II. Yes, that is true, currently there is no real speed difference between SATA I and SATA II anyway... I should have said that there is a jumper on there that selects SATA I or SATA II speeds.

BTW, nigelw I might have sounded a little... sharp in my first post... that was cause I was tired and my plans didn't work out... :( so I am sorry. and welcome to PressF1 :)

nigelw
15-11-2006, 01:46 PM
No offence taken - the thing is that the cable supplied will plug into the female connection on the mb but not on the hard drive, so I'M not so much concerned about speed differences as being able to physically connect the hard drive to the motherboard. Thanks for your help.

Speedy Gonzales
15-11-2006, 01:51 PM
There's 2 different connections on the SATA hdd itself.

One is for the power and the other for data. The connection on the mobo is for data only not power.

Are you connecting the right connector from the connection on the mobo to the right connection on the hdd?

nigelw
15-11-2006, 03:46 PM
The power connection is not a problem - it's the data cable. The female connection on the HD is a couple of mm smaller than the male cable so I can't plug it in. I think I might have to remove the HD and take it into the shop so they can see for themselves. Cheers.

The_End_Of_Reality
15-11-2006, 07:04 PM
How about taking a pic or two and uploading them here (www.imagef1.net.nz) so we have a better view of what exactly you mean :)