PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP Home not reconising DVD+RW disks

RoadkillNZ
14-11-2006, 07:24 PM
Hi, I have just brought a Computer, installed XP Home on it, and got all the windows updates to get it up to date and no updates left to do. It came with a Lite-on SOHW-1693S DVD+-RW drive.

The problem I am having is that it will not reconise my DVD+RW disks, in Nero it is showing as a DVD-ROM and I can not do anything with them, this is for both the ones I have that are empty and full, its saying "Disk is not rewritable and threfore can not be erased. Please insert a erasable disk" This is with at least 2 different brands of DVD+RW's. It works ok on CD-RW's. I do not have any DVD-RW's to test how it works on that.

I brought 2 computers at the same time with the same specs, and the second one works o.k. and will detect the DVD+RW's. I also plugged in a NEC DVD+-RW Drive that I was using on the computer before I replaced it for this one, and that also came up with the same issue, that makes me think it isn't a issue with the DVD Drive, but one with Windows or the motherboard.

I am running Windows XP Home edition on a Asus M2N4-SLI with 1 Gig Ram + 2 SATA HDD's.

I checked out this following Microsoft KB article - http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;316529
, But even though my Drive was set to 1 and the one that was working was set to 2, changing it made no difference. I have looked for newer drivers and tried unistalling and reinstalling the DVD Drives drivers all to no avail, and I could not find anywhere on the web that seemed to help me with my dilemma, but a lot of that is you have to word it right to get sense out of the 100,000+ hits you get when searching. I also tried reinstalling my motherboard drivers and that didn't work either.

I thought I would try here to see if anyone knows a way to help me. (I also asked the store where I brought it but all they could come up with is incompatable media)

CYaBro
14-11-2006, 09:31 PM
Hi and welcome to PressF1!

How was the data written to the DVD+RW disks?
Do you have Nero InCD installed?

RoadkillNZ
15-11-2006, 07:36 AM
The data was originally written by Nero, and we even tried one dvd that the second computers burnt by the same version of nero that I am trying on this one, which is the one that came with the computer (Nero express + INCD).

I have tried it with the version 6.x of the install cd + incd 4, and also with just one or the other installed in case one of them was throwing it out, I have tried burning useing widows media player 11.

Speedy Gonzales
15-11-2006, 08:09 AM
Umm XP doesnt burn to DVD by default.

And the version of Nero, did it come with your burner??

Or did you replace the burner? Or did you download Nero?

Because if Nero didnt come with the Liteon, (if u didnt download Nero), Nero wont detect the burner. Since its not the original burner that that version of Nero came with.

RoadkillNZ
15-11-2006, 09:41 AM
Media Player 11 lets you burn things from it, and it detects the CD-RW's for burning, but doesn't detect the DVD+RW and comes up with insert a writeable disk thats why I presumed it would of also burnt to DVD, all I know is it doesn't like it with either Nero or Media player, but if Media player can only burn to CD's then that counts out the fact 2 programs can't create it.

If it makes any difference it was a XP SP1 install with microsoft update of SP 2 and everything else it asked for installing.

The version of Nero came with the computer which included the burner. But I did use migwiz to copy my settings from my previous computer before installing nero.

RoadkillNZ
16-11-2006, 06:38 AM
Just thought I would leave a message to say I ended up fixing the problem the old fashioned way at about 2am last night -

I reformated and started again and it started working ok after then.