PDA

View Full Version : Telecom's wire service

Nomad
14-11-2006, 07:38 PM
They say if you have 5 phone you need a wire service. Is it possible to say install 7 line filters on 7 different jacks? And the 8th would be the ADSL.

I read, Telecom says for a full install, only the designated jack can be used for ADSL. Is this the case and does it mean only one jack can be used for ADSL? If so if one person were to shift the computer to a different room it would be a hassle?

Thanks.

Poppa John
14-11-2006, 07:50 PM
There is a phone socket double adaptor which has a straight thro outlet for ADSL & a filtered outlet for the phone. If you put one of these in every phone jack & connect each phone to that, then it would leave an ADSL outlet for where ever you want your computer. If you DO have 7 phones, it might be too much load for your phone line. PJ

Mamaz
14-11-2006, 07:54 PM
I used to work for them so unless something has changed (highly doubt it) here is what the deal is with ADSL and telephone jackpoints and also what a full install is.

A full-install refers to "Splitter installation by Telecom technician". What a techie would do is to come over to your premises, install a splitter (basically splits ADSL and phone more effectively than say a filter would) and from that splitter wire a new jackpoint. This jackpoint will have two ports, one will be for normal phone usage and the other jackpoint will be a dedicated ADSL port. So yes, that and only that ADSL port alone can receive an ADSL signal. Other jackpoints in the house continue to function as normal for phone/fax services only.

You would only need a splitter if:

1. You have a monitored home alarm. which means if the alarm goes off, the alarm system sends an alert via phone lines to yout security company.
2. If you have have 5 or more telephone jackpoints in the house and 5 or more of them are IN USE!

REASON: If more than 5 devices are plugged into the same phone line than the ADSL signal is weakened due to interference. So without a splitter it may work but it may result in frequent ADSL disconnections when say a call comes in or you try and make a call.

You DO NOT NEED A SPLITTER if:

1. If you have five or more jackpoints in the house but only 4 or less jackpoints are in use.

I would suggest that if you do not have all of those jackpoints in use is to get a connection only option and then test out the ADSL quality etc. If after the connection you notice a lot of drop-outs or certain phone services being affected, contact ISP's helpdesk, get them to troubleshoot the connection and if it turns out to be an issue with how many devices you have then go for a wiring option.

Nomad
14-11-2006, 08:24 PM
Thanks for that. Very helpful. Yes we have 7 phones plugged into the jack.

PaulD
14-11-2006, 09:09 PM
7 phones!! If your house is that big you should look at some of the newer DECT style cordless phones, you can have several phones running off 1 line connection and each phone can intercom/tranfer call the other phones.

Poppa John
14-11-2006, 09:41 PM
7 phones!! If your house is that big you should look at some of the newer DECT style cordless phones, you can have several phones running off 1 line connection and each phone can intercom/tranfer call the other phones.

I agree with that. PJ

Nomad
14-11-2006, 10:46 PM
Thanks, I may look into that.

Our old cordless phone broke. Not got one since. Yeah, we have one in each bedroom, the kitch, the lounge, the sunroom, the garage. They not spread out very far thou. Could be eight actually. One room has 2 one is normal and the other has the look of a old style telephone in that brown wood color. Never 2 handsets get used at the same time though :D More interior furniture decoration ;)

No phone in my room though. I don't like distractions but on the other hand I like to eventually have a 21" CRT screen and a scanner and a A3 printer :D Bit of a squeeze in a 2.5 x 3m size room.