PDA

View Full Version : Monitor/Video Card Problem

robertash
14-11-2006, 07:31 PM
Hi,
Just got new computer and went to start it up using my existing flat panel monitor and the monitor is not detected.
Cpu: Core 2 Duo 6600
Video Card: Asus Nvidia EN7900GTX
Motherboard: ASUS P5B Deluxe
Monitor: CMV 17" flat panel

Monitor only has VGA output (cheap monitor), and graphics card has DVI outputs. Using the VGA to DVI adapter to connect monitor to graphics card.

Do you think it is my monitor? Or more likely to be the graphics card?

Cheers for any help

Speedy Gonzales
14-11-2006, 07:40 PM
It could be the adapter.

Unless there's an option / button on the monitor or somewhere to change it from DVI to VGA, or vice-versa.

The_End_Of_Reality
14-11-2006, 07:41 PM
Hi.

Hard to tell, but if the monitor has been proven working then it is likely to be the GFX card

Try a different header on the GFX card and also try a different monitor and GFX card if you are able to get a hold of some...

BTW Welcome to PF1 :)

robertash
14-11-2006, 07:46 PM
In what way?
I got two brand new DVI to VGA adaptors with my new graphics card, do you think it's likely they're both faulty?

robertash
14-11-2006, 07:48 PM
cheers, haven't been on these forums for a while now.
Yeah, tried and old CRT monitor I had and that doesn't work either.
I'm guessing it's the graphics card too.
What do u mean by trying a different header on the GFX card?

The_End_Of_Reality
14-11-2006, 08:09 PM
There are two sockets where you plug the adapter in, these are what I mean.

Looks like it is the GFX card, are you able to get another one to test? is it fully inserted and power cable going to it? could possibly even be the PCI-E slot... is there another one you can test? (SLI boards only). also might be an idea to test the card in another machine if possible...

Speedy Gonzales
14-11-2006, 08:09 PM
You have connected the PCI-E molex connector to power too, havent u?

Hmm and what PC-E slot is this card in?? On the ASUS site it says:

Why isn't PCIe x1 slot functioning on P5B Deluxe?

If you need to use PCIe x1 slot, please set the PCIeX16 slot as x2 mode in BIOS.

Altho, this isnt much use if u cant see anything

robertash
15-11-2006, 07:52 AM
The computer was built by the shop, apart from me adding my DVD drive and HDD from my current PC, so I would assume that they connected the power to the GFX. But I will check that tonight, otherwise I will just take it back to the shop for them to sort out.

Yeah, it's annoying that I can't see the BIOS to actually change something.

Thanks for your advice guys, I'll doublecheck all the connections inside the box tonight and see if I can fix it. If not, then back to the shop it goes.

Such a b*gger when you buy a great new PC and all you get is a blank screen lol.

borax
15-11-2006, 08:02 AM
Are you sure its a display problem. Is the PC booting up properly? Does PC beep when it boots. Does the PC appear to be up and running other than the monitor not working i.e. do the drives open OK, are the keyboard lights (num lock, caps lock) working?
The reason i mention this is that i had a similar problem with a new machine and i initially thought it was a graphics problem, turned out the RAM was faulty and the PC never booted properly

robertash
15-11-2006, 08:32 AM
The PC itself does seem to boot up, the power stays on, I'm able to put the XP install CD into the drive, and can hear the fans start up and stay on.
I didn't have time to check all the connections inside, so possibly the power to the graphics card hasn't been properly connected.

trig42
15-11-2006, 11:11 AM
Sounds like your computer isn't actually booting.

There is a difference between fans and power coming on and the PC POSTing (POST= Power on self test) which is where you should get a beep that tells you everything is OK.

Do you get any beeps out of the speaker?

Did the shop that built it test it?

Check inside to see that everything is plugged in (mainly the video card, should have a power cable connected to it)

You could try resetting the BIOS, that may get it going.

If you're not confident, take it back to the shop.

The_End_Of_Reality
15-11-2006, 12:07 PM
I personally would have thought that the shop would have tested it quickly, IE let it turn on, load to an OS setup or something (but not install) to test everything... What shop was this? was it an online store or what?