PDA

View Full Version : Boot From ATAPI-CD-ROM failure...What the?!

Fishy
14-11-2006, 06:53 PM
I have just bought a brand spanking new 80gb Western Digital hard drive.
I have installed it, put the power cable in, set the jumpers on the old one to slave, the jumpers on the new hard drive to master and put in the IDE cables.
But when I try to boot up the computer with my new hard drive, or even boot up the computer with both the new and old installed I get this error:

Verifying DMI Pool Data.......
Boot From ATAPI-CD-ROM...
Disk Boot Failure, Insert System Disk and Press Enter...

I have already installed XP Pro SP2 on the new hard drive but I get this error trying to start up.
I unplugged the power and IDE cables from the new one so it's just sitting there at the moment, then tried to boot it up, and HEY PRESTO it worked.
It did the
Verifying DMI Pool Data.......
Boot From ATAPI-CD-ROM...
thing but it didn't have the error after, it just proceeded to boot up XP.
I googled it and people said to make sure in the BIOS that the first boot device is the hard drive not the CD-ROM.
I went and checked and it was the CD-ROM so i changed it to hard drive and the second device to CD-ROM.
Tried again...No luck :(

Help :confused:
I have no idea what's wrong and I just want to use the new hard drive.

Speedy Gonzales
14-11-2006, 06:58 PM
Take the cd out if its still in the cd.

Fishy
14-11-2006, 07:00 PM
There is no CD in the hard drive.
It has been doing this check ever since I have had this computer.
But why does it not get the error with this HDD whereas it does with the other one?

Speedy Gonzales
14-11-2006, 07:06 PM
You cant put a cd in a hdd.

Open the cd rom see if there's a cd in it, if there is take it out, or check your connections (power and IDE cable) going to the hard drive and the cd, make sure they're in properly.

Or change the bootdisk to the right hdd, if you've put the new hdd and the old one in. And put primary or secondary Master / slave in the BIOS on AUTO.

What IDE connection are the hard drives on? Primary or Seconday Master and Slave?

Fishy
14-11-2006, 07:12 PM
I just realised I said "There is no CD in the hard drive." Accident.
I meant no cd in the cd drive.
And I have no idea what the bootdisk is.
And I did not know there was different types of IDE cables. But I have switched them around so I used the cable normally for the old one for the new one and vice versa but it still didn't work.
And is there a way to get to the BIOS without shutting down the computer?

Speedy Gonzales
14-11-2006, 07:23 PM
I just realised I said "There is no CD in the hard drive." Accident.
I meant no cd in the cd drive.

Ok

And I have no idea what the bootdisk is.

You did it in the previous post, when u said this

I went and checked and it was the CD-ROM so i changed it to hard drive and the second device to CD-ROM.

It changes what the system boots from. ie: the cd, or a hdd. Or something thats bootable.

And I did not know there was different types of IDE cables. But I have switched them around so I used the cable normally for the old one for the new one and vice versa but it still didn't work.

There isnt, well there's either a 40 pin, or an 80 pin cable (the 80 pin has a blue connector on one end, which goes to the motherboard connection).

And is there a way to get to the BIOS without shutting down the computer?

No, you cant access the BIOS from within Windows. You have to reboot to get into it.

The only other thing it maybe is the cables are in the wrong way. The stripe thats on one side of the IDE cable, MUST go to pin 1 on the cd or hdd.

Altho, I think most systems these days, the IDE cable can / will only fit in one way, and not the other.

Fishy
14-11-2006, 07:30 PM
Yea the IDE cable only fits one way. It's nothing to do with the cables or the HDD because I have succesfully installed XP Pro on it and accessed XP Pro after the installation had finished. So I switched it off for a bit, came back about 15 minutes later and when I try boot it up with the new one plugged in it doesn't work. So the HDD itself works it's just this bloody error stops me loading XP. :badpc:

Speedy Gonzales
14-11-2006, 07:34 PM
So:

1. How many cd roms are installed? 1 or 2?

2. How many hard drives are installed? The old and the new one? Or just the new one?

Fishy
14-11-2006, 07:47 PM
1. You mean CD-ROM drives? Only 1.

2. There is currently my old one plugged in otherwise I can't start up the computer.
I want both to be installed at the same time but if I plug in the new one regardless of whether the old one is plugged in at the same time or not it comes up with the error.
So basically it works with ONLY the old one in, but when I put the new one in it stuffs up.

Fishy
15-11-2006, 04:07 PM
Bump...
Please help, I really need it.

Graham L
15-11-2006, 04:29 PM
Try setting the jumpers on both hard disks to "CS". Connect them so that the one you wish to be the boot device is furthest from the motherboard connector.

Fishy
15-11-2006, 05:49 PM
Thankyou so much, that worked fine.

Graham L
15-11-2006, 06:03 PM
The general rule seems to be that almost all manufacturers finally manage to correctly implement the standards for a protocol or interface type about the time when it is considered obsolete. The serial and parallel interfaces are well understood now, and usually work. But many new computers don't have them. USB is becoming reasonably reliable (and will probably be obsolete soon).

The IDE disk interface is pretty nice, and has worked well (mostly) but the manufacturers have frequently managed to make non-standard standard IDE devices. :D

I preferred the master/slave jumpering system, but sometimes that didn't work as expected from a reading of the standard. Adding the "CS" (Cable Select) variant, which works by detecting the presence of a wire at one pin of the disk connector at startup made things even more interesting, as you have found. The M/S selection should override CS, but it doesn't always. (That may be because one or both or your drives needs an extra jumper settting to say "I'm Master, with no slave present", or "Slave present", or ..... to make up for non-compliant logic. )

SATA is becoming widely used ... maybe it will work reliably one day. ;)

Fishy
15-11-2006, 06:16 PM
Yea I was going to get SATA but the computer was made millenniums before SATA was invented so IDE will do for me.
I'm just glad you were able to help me fix it because I only had 140mb left on the old drive :horrified