PDA

View Full Version : After reformatting and installing Programs...

John W
14-11-2006, 03:32 PM
How should I take in Image of the HDrive, so in 12mths when I want to reformatt again, all I need to do its install a set of DVDs to reset the PC to it fresh as state.

I want to avoid the time consuming resetting all the LAN, ADSL modem and network settings, with a Ghost image that can simply be written into the PC in one stroke, so to speak.

Ideas welcome.

Jen
14-11-2006, 04:43 PM
Unless I am misunderstanding your question, that is exactly what Ghost (Nortons) does. You can save the image to a DVD for example and when it is restored, the PC is exactly in the same state as it was when the image was created.

The best way of doing this is to put the image onto a slave drive with enough room to save the last three images of the system. By taking an image of the system at regular intervals means you will have less changes to lose if the need arises to use the images. You should also make sure you do keep an image saved elsewhere incase of complete hardware failure that takes out all the hard drives.

If you are merely wishing to have a "fresh" install type image, then you need to get your machine into this state and updated with all the required settings before taking an image. Doing a complete reinstall then installing drivers, applying critical patches and configuring any other settings first before taking the snapshot image. You can then install any other personal software and once the system is how you like it and stable, take another snapshot image so that you have two options to roll back to.

Is that the sort of thing you were after?

John W
15-11-2006, 06:42 AM
Yep, too a tee Jen.

Ill look at Nortons Ghost in more detail.

Thanks agan.

pctek
15-11-2006, 06:58 AM
By taking an image of the system at regular intervals means you will have less changes to lose if the need arises to use the images.

So long as each time you do make a new image - due to some hardware or software changes, you restore your 1st image back first, then do the changes then do your updated 2nd image.

Otherwise all the clutter and garbage gets ghosted along with it and you eventually end up with a messy image, rather than a nice clean perfect one.