PDA

View Full Version : Raiding 2 Hard Drives for Striping

MAC_H8ER
13-11-2006, 07:40 PM
Hi all,

I recently found out that my motherboard supports RAID :thumbs: im suprised i didint find out when I bought it :horrified anyway I have a single 250GB Seagate S-ATA II 8mb Cache 7200.9 Hard drive. if i buy a new 250GB Seagate S-ATA II 8mb cache 7200.10 Hard Drive - will they work in a Raid Configuration? the new hard drive is "perpindicular" whatever that means - will this cause any compatibilitie issues?
as the only differences i can see is one being perpindicular and one being 6 months newer - They Should work together?

cheers in advance :thumbs:

MAC_H8ER

Shortcircuit
13-11-2006, 08:13 PM
They *should* work together. For Raid the requirements are:

2 identical new drives... that means same brand, same size.

You would have to completely wipe the 'old' one and format them both. Note that if you're using XP you will have to install the RAID drivers from m/board CD when installing Windows (it asks you for third party raid drivers during install) and you will have to put the drivers on floppy disc first before you start the install.

XP can be a bit tricky re raid set-ups and you might have to try the install a couple of times to get it going.

MAC_H8ER
13-11-2006, 08:30 PM
:eek: format and reload! isint there and option to "rebuild" the array - as in get it to strpe the data onto the new drive? im not keen on the whole format and reload thing - putting 95GB off a bunch of dvd's was not fun when i did it 6 months ago - i dont think it will be any better now :waughh:

TGoddard
13-11-2006, 08:57 PM
Rebuilding can be used to add drives to redundant arrays, not to create a new array. What you can do is make a copy using a tool like Ghost (or dd if you're that way inclined). You can then set up the RAID array and copy the image to it. This process is slow but is at least mostly automatic. You then need to use a partition editor such as QTParted to resize the partition to fill the whole array.

PedalSlammer
13-11-2006, 09:26 PM
:eek: format and reload! isint there and option to "rebuild" the array - as in get it to strpe the data onto the new drive? im not keen on the whole format and reload thing - putting 95GB off a bunch of dvd's was not fun when i did it 6 months ago - i dont think it will be any better now :waughh::stare: Transfering 60GB(splited into 20GB each time) DATA from corrupted XP HDD to 40GB then to 250GB HDD was no fun either.
That's a real waste of time.

MAC_H8ER
14-11-2006, 06:17 AM
yeah - i know that feeling too :annoyed: i have a 120gb maxtor IDE drive here that i can back up all my data apart from games and apps i will have to re-install
about ghosting - i only have ghost 2003 and if i set up a raid array - will it actually see the drive - wouldnt it need drivers? (im looking over my motherboard cd now to try and find some) - its really weird - my motherboard manual says nothing about NVRaid - only that the Deluxe version of my motherboard has it - but its right there in my bios :waughh: but yeah im kind of warming to formatting and reloading because my current setup has lots of spyware ridden programs i dont use :waughh: - even though scanning got rid of them the OS still feels a tad unstable