PDA

View Full Version : If you don't shut down properly...

newb.
13-11-2006, 08:07 AM
Last night I saved a file to my desktop, but was in a rush to get out, so I just turned my machine off at the power - I know you're not supposed to do this, but my question is: is it normal that when I next boot up that all my settings are the same as the previous bootup and all files that I've saved won't be there?

Greg
13-11-2006, 08:34 AM
Your settings should remain the same, and files not in use at the time won't be affrcted.

Erayd
13-11-2006, 08:42 AM
Your settings should remain the same, and files not in use at the time won't be affrcted.Unless they are still in cache and haven't been written to disk yet. Any data in the write cache is lost when the power goes.

godfather
13-11-2006, 08:45 AM
Setting changes will not be saved in most cases. These are written at a correct power down process.

TGoddard
13-11-2006, 09:54 AM
There's a reason why people tell you to shut down properly. It's the same reason why you never unplug a USB drive without unmounting it.

Whenever you use a filesystem the computer needs to be able to quickly and efficiently locate files. The filesystem's internal tree which contains this information is too slow to read from disk all the time so it is cached in memory. Whenever you add, remove or move a file the tree is changed to reflect this but is not immediately flushed to disk. Likewise small, frequently written files are buffered in memory to improve performance. If you turn off your computer without unmounting the partitions and flushing all this data to disk then it will be lost.

You might lose a few recently written files or the filesystem may become corrupted. I would be surprised if all files disappeared but you never know how serious the corruption may be.

Lurking
14-11-2006, 03:47 PM
TGoddard, the USB icon does not appear on the Taskbar or My Computer on both our pcs' with USB connections running 98SE.

The driver cd help shows the icon and directions for "unmounting" removing device safely.

Our failing has been removing from a live pc, but inserting into a cold pc.

Smack on the wrist accepted and will be more careful in future.

We have a My Flash Disk, Chinese of course.

Lurking

Laura
14-11-2006, 05:01 PM
Ummmmm

What does the USB icon look like?

Edit: On XP

SolMiester
14-11-2006, 05:22 PM
Desktop location.....?? I wonder if if wasn't saved to disk until the profile was saved on normal exit (which it didn't), therefore lost file?

Greg
15-11-2006, 12:52 AM
What does the USB icon look like?

Edit: On XPLike this (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/usb.gif) (the icon on the left with the little green arrow)

Greg
15-11-2006, 01:01 AM
Setting changes will not be saved in most cases. These are written at a correct power down process.But then it's strange that after my PC almost self-destructed earlier this year and rebooted itself due to a nearby lightning strike, nothing had changed at all.