PDA

View Full Version : Can't Get To Admin Rights In 2000Pro

SurferJoe46
13-11-2006, 06:37 AM
I cannot get into Administrative rights area nor can I assign them to myself in a really messed up 2000Pro install that is full of trojans and viruses.

It has not had an update in 4 years and I know it is really messed up.

I ran Spybot and AdAware and they both reported over 200 problems, none of which were heal-able or removable.

I tried a repair install with 2000 disc, but guess I have do a total reinstall.

I tried dban/dban-1.0.7_i386.iso (http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/dban/dban-1.0.7_i386.iso?use_mirror=superb-east) to scrub the hdds, and it just sits in the cd-tray an ignores me.

This is a Dell Latitude, laptop and has no floppy drive, so I am stuck with the cd-tray.

I know the cd-tray works as it saw and said it would not install 98SE when I tried...so that's ok.

Now what?

I need to f-disk and start from scratch.

Should I try the c-prompt? If so, what's the command?

Remember that I cannot use the Administration rights as I cannot access them, not even in Safe Mode..it just goes back and loads 2000 from the regular screen when I try.

There's no "Log Off Current User" in the Start menu either.

This is a mess.

pcuser42
13-11-2006, 07:33 AM
Boot from a recovery CD and format the hard drive from there.

racepics
13-11-2006, 08:40 AM
How many "users" are listed?
Rightclick My Computer - go Manage>Users
(although you may not be able to do this with no admin rights)
If you can - disable or remove all users except Admin and reboot.

But if the thing is so infested with malware its probably a lost cause.
Boot from your Windoze CD and delete the partition > re-create partition > format > reinstall, it probably the most efficent fix.

If you need to recover data first - boot from a Linux Livecd and use that to save your docs etc to a USB drive or such first.

SurferJoe46
15-11-2006, 03:08 PM
I have gotten in by a back door that I accidently found and got the original user name and the password was blank...so I am in.

The hdd as far as I can tell, has nothing left in it that is malware...I think...at least it isn't trying to phone home constantly anymore. My modem is quiet as a mouse when the puter is idling...so that's a good sign.

Question:

On one of the first black screens, there is a request for which OPSYS I want to use, the default is 2000.

The other is called : "Gandalf (http://gandalf-library.sourceforge.net/)"...whatever that is! Further research (http://deepthought.ttu.ee/it/gandalf/) indicates it's some sort of C+ coded numerical algorithm library..which is WAY over my head. :eek:

If anyone wants it and can tell me how to upload it to you, let me know.

According to Gandalf's site:

Gandalf is free for use for both research and commercial purposes under the LGPL (Lesser Gnu Public License). Gandalf has been used on commercial development contracts in the areas of:

* Counterfeit detection
* Camera motion control

How can I remove/destroy that other side of the puter?

I only want to leave 2000 in it if I can.

The hdd has been formatted into C, D & F partitions, and none but the first will allow me to explore them. I suspect there are even some hidden partitions too...anything's possible.

I will wait a few days for responses to see if there's a way to dump this onto a cd-rom or whatever and send it to anyone who wants it.

On the "My Computer" area I see another mysterious area called "Macromedia FTP & RDS" ...again, whatever that is; the same offer stands, anyone who wants this stuff can have it if you know how to dump it into some other media and get it outta here.

Not wanting to fdisk and start over if I can help it...and if I can get rid of this other stuff. I will start Googling files to se what they are..and I really really want to get this LT running with just the one OPSYS.

Speedy Gonzales
15-11-2006, 03:27 PM
Did u run Spybot in safe mode, to see if it would remove whatever?

You could try running hjt in safe mode, and post the log here, then we can see whats on that system.

Hopefully, this system isnt networked to the pc you're on now.

SurferJoe46
15-11-2006, 03:46 PM
I have taken my video puter off line and I am not going to let it run on the LAN until this is resolved. Not too worried about this Dell...I can clean and reinstall on it pretty easy.

Anywho...Yes..now I can get into Safe Mode and ran and ran and ran everything I have and there are no negative reports to announce now...but I am still in the process of Googling things to see what they are.

Graham L
15-11-2006, 03:49 PM
Joe, it's quite likely that the other partitions are used by the other OS, so will have non-MS formats. Try selecting "Gandalf" rather than "2000"... it's probably a Linux system. :cool: If you don't like it, just turn the power off. It won't do any damage.

SurferJoe46
15-11-2006, 04:04 PM
Joe, it's quite likely that the other partitions are used by the other OS, so will have non-MS formats. Try selecting "Gandalf" rather than "2000"... it's probably a Linux system. :cool: If you don't like it, just turn the power off. It won't do any damage.

I thought so to...but this 2000 side has some very odd programs and files on it..those are the ones I want to Google and see what and if they are important or not.

I just tried Gandalf, and it asks for a password...Hm..I tried a blank one and it denied me entry and rebooted the puter. Pretty intense I think...and a little nasty maybe. There may be no room for mistakes, and perhaps there's a dead-man's switch if I try too many times in a certain parameter of time or successful 2000 boot-ups. I don't know what the accelerator is...

Graham L
15-11-2006, 04:20 PM
Just use FDISK to delete the D and F partitions. Unless you have the complete package and the instructions it's not worth messing around with numerical algorithm packages ... and there's some very good advice in The Lord of the Rings: ".. never meddle with wizards, they are subtle and quick to anger...". And Gandalf was a good wizard. ;)

Before you get the choice of "2000" or "Gandalf" does it tell you what the boot manager is? Does FDISK /MBR work in W2K? That would get rid of a Linux boot manager. You'll probably need to boot from a DOS disk or Windows CD to do that anyway ...

SurferJoe46
15-11-2006, 04:22 PM
Remember there's no floppy here either.....just the optical drive (1)

mikebartnz
16-11-2006, 12:15 AM
Just use FDISK to delete the D and F partitions. Unless you have the complete package and the instructions it's not worth messing around with numerical algorithm packages ... and there's some very good advice in The Lord of the Rings: ".. never meddle with wizards, they are subtle and quick to anger...". And Gandalf was a good wizard. ;)

Before you get the choice of "2000" or "Gandalf" does it tell you what the boot manager is? Does FDISK /MBR work in W2K? That would get rid of a Linux boot manager. You'll probably need to boot from a DOS disk or Windows CD to do that anyway ...
I 2000 you need to run the Recovery Console (Which I like to add as boot option) and run Fixmbr. There is another one similar which I can't remember the name of but using the ? help file in Recovery Console will give you all the option's.
As a matter of interest how did Gandalf get on your box.

SurferJoe46
16-11-2006, 05:29 AM
I 2000 you need to run the Recovery Console (Which I like to add as boot option) and run Fixmbr. There is another one similar which I can't remember the name of but using the ? help file in Recovery Console will give you all the option's.
As a matter of interest how did Gandalf get on your box.

I got this LT at a yardsale for next to nothing....can you guess why?

I may wind up just getting a new hdd for it, but I feel the gauntlet has been slapped across my face and I want to rise to the occasion.

Dell Latitude P4 512g, orig with an XP sticker, but somehow it got 2000 and Gandalf installed.

Is Gandalf some sort of geek-o wizard's program? It looks like it operates very near the kernal in all the stuff I've read so far.