PDA

View Full Version : Cyber squatting

rogerp
12-11-2006, 08:44 PM
After all this publicity about the new Stadium, I decided to see if the government or city councils had registered the domain names stadiumnz.co.nz and stadiumnewzealand.co.nz and their .com versions yet. No, but some other people had, and they were registered around the time this was announced to the public. Are there any rules that stop people registering these types of domain names, or are they too generic to be tradenames, and could they expect to earn big amounts if they hang onto them and then sell them.

rogerp
12-11-2006, 08:46 PM
Whoops, I meant to post it in the 'chat' forum. Oh well.

stu161204
12-11-2006, 08:52 PM
After all this publicity about the new Stadium, I decided to see if the government or city councils had registered the domain names stadiumnz.co.nz and stadiumnewzealand.co.nz and their .com versions yet.

dam, I should have thought of that :( :p :annoyed:

Are there any rules that stop people registering these types of domain names

Nope, which sucks, but you got to be on the game.

Metla
12-11-2006, 09:23 PM
You can apply to have the rights stripped from whomever purchased the domain name, Though fat chance unless your a powerful chap and loaded with coin.

TGoddard
12-11-2006, 09:26 PM
If the domain includes a trademark you can reasonably easily force people to relinquish it through legal proceedings but these domains don't contain any trademarked names. A different one will have to be purchased or the old ones bought.

rogerp
12-11-2006, 09:34 PM
You can apply to have the rights stripped from whomever purchased the domain name, Though fat chance unless your a powerful chap and loaded with coin.

I suppose the government can make their own rules and take it if it is a .nz domain. I am sure that they would eventually want stadiumnz.co.nz or stadiumnewzealand.co.nz, unless it is going to be named after the main sponser.

somebody
13-11-2006, 08:43 AM
They'll probably pass some retrospective legislation to make obtaining that particular domain illegal, then take it off the person. :lol:

Greg
13-11-2006, 09:43 AM
What will help their cause if they quickly build a website about for the domain/s, eg the history of stadiums in New Zealand.