PDA

View Full Version : Only boots with F1 key

rocktap
12-11-2006, 07:51 PM
Hi all

My laptop locks up during the boot up process - just after the Win XP logo disappears but before the final screen comes up. However, if I hold the F1 key down during power up, it boots up ok. (it boots up like its coming out of hibernate mode, even though my laptop can't do hibernate or standby. Any ideas what might be causing this? Problem only cropped up when I did a re-install of Win XP Pro. What is the F1 key doing to make things work? Its not safe mode, it boots up normal.

Regards

Peter

Graham L
14-11-2006, 12:54 PM
First, Peter, welcome to PressF1. But I strongly urge you to register again, using a username which is not your email address. Nasty people scan sites like this looking for email addresses to be used for spam. Then click on the name of one of the moderators and ask for this username to be deleted. (That might require another posting of this question, but it could save you some annoyance).

The problem is an odd one. Does it go through the power up test routine correctly? Are the date and time correct after the system has booted up? "No" answer to either or both would indicate that the small backup cell which maintains the BIOS configuration is dead.

rocktap
14-11-2006, 04:42 PM
Thanks Graham

Yes I didn't intend to have email address as username, I chose a username but it for some reason used my email address! Anyway I think the Spam couldn't get any worse!

I will check whether its backup cell problem. Do you know what function F1 normally porvides during boot up? (I think safe mode is F8?)

Cheers

Peter

Jen
14-11-2006, 04:51 PM
Thanks Graham

Yes I didn't intend to have email address as username, I chose a username but it for some reason used my email address! Anyway I think the Spam couldn't get any worse!Hi Peter, Welcome to PressF1

We can have your username issue corrected under these circumstances. Please send a Private Message to Bruce Buckman (the administrator) with your preferred username (check the members list first to make sure it isn't already taken). :)

rocktap
15-11-2006, 10:56 AM
Problem solved - I entered the BIOS and reset to default values. Whatever the issue was its now gone!

Peter

Graham L
15-11-2006, 01:55 PM
Well done. Just the threat of PressF1 involvement scared the computer into behaving. ;)

In some BIOS systems F1 is the "carry on" command, with F2 entering the BIOS set up routine. F1 causes it to select default settings and use them (just for the session, because they haven't been saved, so you will get the message each time until the settings have been saved). The F8 "Safe mode" is part of Windows ... it doesn't do anything until the BIOS has finished doing its thing and started the Windows booting process.

Somehow it had lost the saved settings, and a very early stage of the testing routine detects that. Usually you get a more informative message. The most common reason for losing the settings is that the button cell is dead, though the clock time usually goes wrong first. (The clock oscillator uses a little bit more power than just preserving the memory registers).