PDA

View Full Version : The Hobbit Game.

Poppa John
12-11-2006, 08:33 PM
Many years ago, in Sydney, I purchased a game called The Hobbit. It is on the old 5" black very floppy disc. I do not have one of these drives any more.

In the loading instructions it says that it is for the "IBM PCjr". Later it says " The program does not use IBM Dos & therefore may not work on IBM compatible computers".

I did try it a long time ago but could not get it ro run. Any ideas, gang ??? PJ

Morgenmuffel
13-11-2006, 07:50 AM
Would this be early 80s?

I always thought the Hobbit game was a C64 game

ok I take that back it started out as a C64 game and was then ported to the PC

two links

http://www.free-game-downloads.mosw.com/abandonware/pc/adventure/games_g_h/hobbit_the.html

and this one has screenshots

http://biphome.spray.se/magnus.welander/adventure/adventure.html

You will probably need an emulator to play the game

CYaBro
13-11-2006, 08:17 AM
I remember playing The Hobbit on our ZX Spectrum. Would have been around '84-'85.

Poppa John
13-11-2006, 09:46 AM
I remember playing The Hobbit on our ZX Spectrum. Would have been around '84-'85.

May well have been. The computer I had then was an early Dick Smiths from when he first came to Auckland. It only used 5" black floppies. Will have a look at the links soon. thanks. PJ

Poppa John
13-11-2006, 10:03 AM
I have put the links on the desktop as shortcuts, serious stuff this.

So how do I get them to play on XP. I will have to get them put onto a CD first? Or get a 5: floppy player? Or both? PJ

Morgenmuffel
13-11-2006, 04:27 PM
I have put the links on the desktop as shortcuts, serious stuff this.

So how do I get them to play on XP. I will have to get them put onto a CD first? Or get a 5: floppy player? Or both? PJ

It is really easy

you will need the following

A compass (if your machine has a cd drive)
A pair of scissors
and a measuring tape

If your machine is one of those newfangled ones with no 3 1/2 inch drive use the compass to draw a circle on the the 5 1/4 floppy, then using the scissors cut neatly around the outside of the circle, now place this "disc" in the cd drive of your computer, don't worry about the strange crunching shrieking sounds coming out of the CD drive this is just the intro sound effects taken from the battle of Helms deep

If on the other hand your machine has a 3 1/2 inch floppy drive measure out a 3 1/2 inch square and cut this out (make sure you remove side furtherest away from you as this has the games credits and copy protection on it and won't hinder your game playing experience)

In all seriousness I think one of those sites has the game files

If you download them
1) SCAN FOR VIRUSES
2) FOR THE pc VERSION YOU MAY NEED TO INSTALL DOSBOX
3) fOR THE C64 VERsion you will need to install an emulator

Either that or go to your local charity shop and buy an old dunger

Hope this helps

At one time I was the proud owner of over 600 5 1/4 disks, it was a nightmare to find anything as they were so thin they disappeared between books

Poppa John
13-11-2006, 05:36 PM
Daft beggar.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Will give it ago, downloading.

Had over 100 5" discs myself, it was hard to rubbish bin them PJ