PDA

View Full Version : HardDrive running out of space

DogBot
12-11-2006, 11:16 AM
I have 3 HDDs on my computer C: (40 gig) D: (250 gig) and E:(250 gig)
C: has the operating system.

because C is so small I always install everithing on E.

My problem is that i have nevertheless finally run out of space on C.

I want to move C to a new bigger HDD. Is this possible? If not I'm SOL!

Thanks for your help.

ronyville
12-11-2006, 11:30 AM
I dont see how you can run out of space on C if it has only your OS and you install everything else on E. I have got my OS on a separate drive and all its has used is 10GB out of the 30GB. But if you are looking to move data from drive C to another drive than yes u can but I dont think you can move the whole OS onto a new drive. You will have to reinstall your OS on the new drive.
Hope this helps.

Speedy Gonzales
12-11-2006, 11:38 AM
Yup, you'll have to reinstall Windows on a bigger hdd.

Its not a good idea copying programs to another hdd, (if they're already installed on C: ) if this is what you want to do, it most probably wont work.

And partition D or E, and use part of one of those as C. (and make it bigger than 40GB).

And use something like ccleaner (www.ccleaner.com) to get rid of the temp files / crap on it.

DogBot
12-11-2006, 11:41 AM
Thanks, but If I simply put in a new HDD and reinstall the OS I will lose critical registry and other data.

Can I somehow clone or image the old C: onto a new larger C:?

Billy T
12-11-2006, 12:30 PM
Yes you can clone it and it should work, but what is using up all your HDD space? If it is not all programs, surely you can get some of the data off onto another drive?

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

pctek
12-11-2006, 12:50 PM
I dont see how you can run out of space on C if it has only your OS and you install everything else on E..

Because he most likely left his MyDocumnets folder on it, and you know how much rubbish WIndows stuffs in there.

My C: is 10Gb and has never crept over using 3.5Gb of that.

Move the MyDocuments folder off it.

stu161204
12-11-2006, 01:07 PM
Welcome to PressF1 DogBot :D

kjaada
12-11-2006, 03:45 PM
Are you sure you require all the stuff on yr drives.So many people just never clean out useless stuff.CCleaner would be a good start.Also Restore points take up a lot of room as yr drive accumulations get more and more.I have known restore points to get up to almost all the "needed" stuff on a drive.