PDA

View Full Version : Clone HDD

linw
11-11-2006, 09:42 PM
I've got an older HP system here with 40GB disk and XP which has bad blocks on it. I even know which file is stuffed (system32\osuninst.exe). Xp really gags if you try to do anything with this file so can't copy or delete it. I guess the bad block table is full anyway. Chkdsk /f doesn't fix it.

I am pondering on the best way to clone it bearing in mind that it has a recovery partition (no XP CD) and it has the aforementioned bad blocks. Anyone with experience in this situation?

drcspy
12-11-2006, 06:28 AM
yes i've successfully cloned quite a few 'bad' hardrives using norton ghost (2003 version is my favorite) you just need to goto the ''options'' screen within ghost itself (at the ''dos'' stage of ghost) and set it to ''ignore crc errors'' and ''force cloning'' it'll work then and wont stop and die if it comes across bad errors. Usually when I'm clonin my home system for backup purposes from one hdd to another it'll run at about 1.8Gb per min (that's fairly fast) the slowest i've ever had to run a clone was t 5Mb per min, (I left it running overnite lol) anyway it was lucky it was only a very small drive (2.5gb I think) ....but it was in quite bad condition and about to die.....

linw
12-11-2006, 08:13 AM
Thanks for reply, drcspy. I have managed to image the partitions using BootIt NG. It stopped at the error and asked whether I wanted to carry on, warning some data may be lost. I am still stuck, though, as I erroneously thought that I could restore the image to a smaller partition seeing as the image size matched the actual data size but BootIt doesn't want to let me restore to a smaller partition size. I was trying to check whether it would work on a drive I had here but it is too small. I have another bigger drive but it may be too small as well. Mmmm.

Did the ones you cloned have recovery parts? Do they have to be cloned as well or can you get away with just cloning the C: drive?

pctek
12-11-2006, 08:41 AM
as I erroneously thought that I could restore the image to a smaller partition seeing as the image size matched the actual data size but BootIt doesn't want to let me restore to a smaller partition size.

Did the ones you cloned have recovery parts? Do they have to be cloned as well or can you get away with just cloning the C: drive?

Ghost will.

Yes best to clone the recovery bit too if you want to be able to use it again. Otherwise it doesn't matter if you are happy to forget it and do a manual install in future.

linw
12-11-2006, 10:48 AM
Thanks for that, pctek.

drcspy
12-11-2006, 03:13 PM
ghost will allow you to clone whichever partitions you want and you can put a clone back into a smaller partition so long as the partition is big enuf to hold the data lol

linw
12-11-2006, 11:05 PM
That attribute of ghost sounds neat. In the end, I downsized the partition I wanted to image so that it was a little smaller than the destination partition. Time consuming but it worked (after changing boot.ini to use partition 1). I didn't bother about the recovery partition - I have an image of it if it was ever needed. A new machine would solve all these silly problems but I owe the owner for services he has rendered to me!

But don't you hate working on other peoples SLOW old machines!! Had two this weekend. A laptop with 120MB of available RAM and a 1.3GHz celeron doesn't do anything for me except induce a lot of swearing. You hit a button - nothing happens so you hit it again. That makes things worse as there are now two jobs in the swap queue!!! You install something and reboot - half an hour later you can actually do something else. You get used to the rhythm of your dual core machine!

I feel better now:p Thanks for the help.