PDA

View Full Version : Dynamic File-Share?

SurferJoe46
11-11-2006, 05:25 AM
Is there any way, with twin XP-Pro puters on a router, to have one run my Hauppauge tuner card with input from a vcr to send that output to the larger hdd on another puter in real time?

I want to be able to run my vcr, feed the output to the Hauppauge card in the first puter and have that output go directly thru the router to the storage puter with the larger storage capacity.

VCR >> TV200 >> ROUTER >> STORAGE HDDS ON DIFFERENT PUTER

Do you suspect much or any losses?
Is it do-able?
Does anyone see what I am trying to do?

I suspect I might have to use file-sharing...but I wonder about latency.

This might sound strange, but I have my reasons.

CYaBro
11-11-2006, 09:59 AM
Should be no reason why you can't do this.
Just share the folder on the storage server where you want the vcr data saved to then map a network drive on the TV200 machine to this share.
You should then be able to tell whatever recording software you are using with the Hauppauge card to save the file to the mapped network drive.
This should work fine if the machines are networked by cable.
A wireless network probably wouldn't have enough bandwidth.

Edit: This is assuming that the Hauppauge card is saving an MPEG2 file and not an uncompressed AVI file. An uncompressed AVI file might use too much bandwidth even on a 100Mb network. Gigabit would be OK though.

supersi
11-11-2006, 01:19 PM
Yeah, don't do this on a wireless router, it might handle the thruput but it will drop-out the connection at least once and you'll be none the wiser.

Speedy Gonzales
11-11-2006, 01:42 PM
I tried something similar on these since both have tuners, all i did was connect the VCR to the s-video input on this tuner, then used the video out on the videocard.

Then plugged the other end of the video out to the s-video input on the other computer. And used the PVR program that comes with these tuners, switched it to s-video and recorded.

It also worked with anything else (as a second monitor), as if the other PC was a TV. So, whatever showed on this computer also appeared on the other computer, and you could also record the same thing twice, on 2 computers.

I suppose u could also connect an RCA cable from video out (from the videocard), on the other PC to an RCA connection on a TV, so what appears on the main PC and the other PC, will also show on the TV.

Only thing is, I would say you wld need 2 tuners and the same program that came with the tuner on the 2 computers.