PDA

View Full Version : Can not share my files on our home network???

demoncleaner
10-11-2006, 01:07 PM
Hi there
Just wondering if anyone could help me in regards to file sharing. I've set up a home network but for some reason others can not access any files on my computer although I can access theirs. Under networks places we can see each others computer but my flatmate gets 'access denied...you do not have permission to access this drive bla bla bla...' errors. I have set the repective folders up so 'everyone' has access but to no avail. I know it must be something on my computer because this happened in my last flat??? We're both running Windows XP and are accessing the network through a D-Link 502T router.
Any replies much appreciated.
Cheers

Speedy Gonzales
10-11-2006, 01:21 PM
See if the info in this post (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?t=73974) helps.

What version of XP is on both? Home or Pro?

And are the workgroup names the same?

SolMiester
10-11-2006, 02:02 PM
If you have XP home, it uses the guest a/c for file sharing access, make sure its turned on!

demoncleaner
10-11-2006, 02:33 PM
See if the info in this post (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?t=73974) helps.

What version of XP is on both? Home or Pro?

And are the workgroup names the same?

I am running XP Pro and my flatmate is running XP Home

SolMiester
10-11-2006, 03:01 PM
You can see their shares because sharing is either on or off with XP Home, however Pro is more complex and shares via user accounts, NOT via guest a/c.

So, you need to create a user account for them and then set the security rights for that a/c at the folder you wish to share.

When they wish to see your files, they will have to stipulate the user account to connect with in this manner (domain)YOURPCNAME\Account(the acc you create for them and the password to match.

demoncleaner
10-11-2006, 03:35 PM
YES! hey cheers guys I've got it going sweet now. I had a look at that post Speedy mentioned and it was an issue with my Local Policy - Security Settings - I just disabled Do not allow anonymous enumeration of SAM accounts and shares ... As soon as I saw that I thought to myself ...of course! the old SAM and his damn enumeration...why didn't I think of that! :lol: NOT.
Nah thanks guys for all your help really apreciated it. I say, it never ceases to amaze me the awesome help you get from the F1 forum, it's bloody awesome :thumbs:
Cheers peoples!

linw
10-11-2006, 10:43 PM
Just for reference, Solmiester, you can certainly share via the guest a/c on XP pro. And you can disable the guest a/c and it will still work if you use simple file sharing. The sharing guest a/c is not the same as the guest a/c you see when administrating user accounts. Confusing, for sure!