PDA

View Full Version : MS OUTLOOK is crashing my Computer

symiggy
09-11-2006, 11:02 AM
I would be most grateful for some advice as to how to deal with a problem which has surfaced over the last two weeks.
When I shut down OUTLOOK which is my default (and preferred) email client, the computer often (but not always) crashes.
Specifically, there is a high pitched clicking noise followed by the momentary appearance of a blue screen which lasts for less than a second and certainly too briefly to actually read what is written on the screen, and this is then followed by the computer shutting down completely and then restarting on its own.
Following the restart the computer seems to work normally as does Outlook.
This does not happen every time I close Outlook but it occurs every second or third time I use the program.
The only other malfunction in the computer that I have noticed is a slight slowing in the boot time and Windows Explorer take slightly longer to load.
The computer is only seven months old and Runs Windows XP SP2 Fully updated.
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual core 3800+, 2.0GB RAM, GeCube RADEON X800XL.
My copy of OUTLOOK is part of MS Office Student and Teacher 2003 and all the other components of the suite work normally.
I am meticulous in trying to avoid Malware spcifically I run:
NOD 32 with all shields active and updated daily. In addition I regularly run on line virus scans at Trend Micro
Webroot Spy Sweeper active and set to scan daily.
I regularly scan my computer with updated versions of Ad-Aware SE Personal,
Spybot Search and Destroy, Ewido Anti Spyware, CWShredder, F-Secure BlackLight and I have Spyware Blaster running in the background.
I have ZoneAlarm Free edition and I use a NAT enabled Router.
None of these programs has found any Malware.
At this point I am really at a loss as to how to address this problem.
Would a Hijack this scan help? and if so I do need help in interpreting the log.
Would un-installing and then re-installing Office be helpful or is there some magic setting that I could readjust?
Many thanks for any and all suggestions.:confused:

gcarmich
09-11-2006, 11:30 AM
Check the event log as the error may be listed in there.

Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Event Viewer

Failing that the first thing I'd be looking for would be problems with the memory.

Erayd
09-11-2006, 11:50 AM
Try running memtest86 on it - this sounds like it could either be a memory problem, or a corrupt hardware driver. My bet's on faulty RAM.

You said it 'shuts down' - does it actually shut down properly, or does it just reset?

symiggy
09-11-2006, 01:40 PM
gcarmich:

I'm not sure what I should check in <Event Viewer>
Please elaborate.
Thanks

Bletch:

It just crashes.
After I close OUTLOOK there is a piercing sound, then a blue screen for approx half a second and then the Black screen appears the computer does not shut down properly at all.
After the black screen has been present for a few seconds then the computer boots up again normally.
I am a bit confused as to why you think its faulty RAM.
If that were the case why does it only occur when I exit Outlook and no other program?

Erayd
09-11-2006, 02:31 PM
If that were the case why does it only occur when I exit Outlook and no other program?Because Outlook could be using a memory address that has not been used by other programs.

The reason I asked about the shutdown thing was because if it was still shutting down properly, the RAM could probably be ruled out. However the resetting thing is a classic symptom of bad RAM, and it's an easy enough thing to check for - so might be worth investigating before you start digging deeper into the guts of the OS / Outlook.

TGoddard
09-11-2006, 03:15 PM
Windows has preferred locations in memory for libraries and programs. If a region of memory is damaged then a particular application may be most likely to use it. Whenever you load a second instance of a program or library Windows actually loads a second copy and rewrites the code by changing all the memory addresses. This is a good method for fast calculations but terrible for memory usage and library loading time.

I don't know, but this could well be a fault when unloading the program from memory combined with bad error handling by the Windows XP kernel. I can't think of anything else that could cause a computer to die when closing a particular program on a normal system. The only other possibility that comes to mind is a malfunctioning rootkit.

tweak'e
09-11-2006, 03:25 PM
first thing is to turn off the auto reboot. then you can read the error message on the blue screen.

is the pc online when you close outlook?
dailup or adsl?

the high pitch squeek can be the monitor change res to display the blue screen or it can be a sign of a faulty powersupply.

symiggy
09-11-2006, 03:32 PM
first thing is to turn off the auto reboot. then you can read the error message on the blue screen.

is the pc online when you close outlook?
dailup or adsl?

the high pitch squeek can be the monitor change res to display the blue screen or it can be a sign of a faulty powersupply.

tweak'e:
The PC is online ADSL when it happens.
Sorry to be so basic ...but how do I turn off auto reboot?

tweak'e
09-11-2006, 03:51 PM
path may be a bit different but roughly.....controlpanel/system/advanced/startup and recovery untick autoreboot.

symiggy
10-11-2006, 08:54 AM
Try running memtest86 on it - this sounds like it could either be a memory problem, or a corrupt hardware driver. My bet's on faulty RAM.

You said it 'shuts down' - does it actually shut down properly, or does it just reset?

Bletch:

I did run Memtest86 Version 3.2 as you suggested.

The short answer is that after approx 11 hours of continuous checking there were ZERO errors found.

However I am not too sure of the working of the program insofar that the program just continued running and did not actually complete on its own.
I had to abort it after approx 11 hours by pressing Esc since I needed to use the computer.

Is this normal?

The test# just continued to increased up to a 13 when I last checked the computer and when I re-checked the computer a few hours later, the test# was back to #7 again it went up to #11 and then when I checked again after a few more hours it was back to #6.
Specifically after a certain test# (I'm not sure which) the test # seemed to reset itself to 0

The PASS # just kept on increasing however and did not reset to 0 for the duration of the test.

When I finally hit Esc to abort the test after approx 11 hours the PASS# was at 17 and the ERRORS# was still ZERO.

I'm not at all sure how to interpret this; admittedly there were no errors but the test did seem to take a long time and did not actually complete on its own.
Does this indicate an error with the computer memory or did I do something wrong in running the test.
Your comments would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you for your interest.

linw
10-11-2006, 09:57 PM
You must do what tweak'e says. Wot he said /settings then uncheck Automatically restart. This will then leave the blue screen error on your screen so you can read it. Note the error message and numbers then post these back.

The RAM is fine. It will go on forever. If there are errors they usually show up within minutes.

hackerfin
11-11-2006, 02:56 AM
use this
try to use f8 in booting to start your computer in safe mode then get..
>>>Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Event Viewer

then save all info...

chckdisk your harddrive.. may be your infected with virus?:thumbs:

symiggy
11-11-2006, 12:56 PM
You must do what tweak'e says. Wot he said /settings then uncheck Automatically restart. This will then leave the blue screen error on your screen so you can read it. Note the error message and numbers then post these back.

The RAM is fine. It will go on forever. If there are errors they usually show up within minutes.

linw:
I did in fact do what tweak'e suggested, I also did a repair install of MS Office.
Since doing that I have NOT had a repeat of the crashing problem when I close Outlook.
However if it does recur I'll be able to read the message since Auto reboot is now turned off and I will certainly post the error message on this forum.
Thanks for your help.