PDA

View Full Version : xbox live setup help

miknz
08-11-2006, 04:39 PM
I got an xbox live pack today and am having a few issues setting it up. I have a usb bb modem so am connecting through my network card, when i try and connect it tells me that tit cannot detect my dns settings. It does pick up my ip's etc. Is there anyone out there who has any idea? I tried google but couldnt make sense of anything.

Cheers

Mike

P.S. I have xbox set to automatically detect settings. have a V.1 box not a 360

Speedy Gonzales
08-11-2006, 04:41 PM
If the Xbox has ethernet, it'll most probably work better than USB.

Does the modem have an ethernet port/s on it as well? To connect to the back of the computer?

CYaBro
08-11-2006, 04:50 PM
I have a usb bb modem so am connecting through my network card,

Huh?? Please explain more on how you have everything connected.

miknz
08-11-2006, 04:54 PM
Huh?? Please explain more on how you have everything connected.

have a usb only modem, have network cable into crossover cable into network card in pc, then b/band modem plugged into usb port. It says that it detects the connection and ip setting just not the DNS settings.

Xbox------Xover Cable-network card in pc- B/Band modem connected to usb port

CYaBro
08-11-2006, 05:05 PM
Have you bridged the network card and USB connection on the PC?
Or have you shared the internet connection on the PC?

miknz
08-11-2006, 05:07 PM
Have you bridged the network card and USB connection on the PC?
Or have you shared the internet connection on the PC?

Have shared the connection on the pc

Not sure what Bridging is

Speedy Gonzales
08-11-2006, 05:11 PM
Have shared the connection on the pc

Not sure what Bridging is

Go to my network places (if u have XP), and right mouse on the USB connection for the modem if its there and select bridge connections. See what happens.

miknz
08-11-2006, 05:56 PM
Go to my network places (if u have XP), and right mouse on the USB connection for the modem if its there and select bridge connections. See what happens.

not in my network places, I thoght the xbox might show up there as I have the two small "tv's" in the corner by the clock showing that a network is enabled. any other takers?

Speedy Gonzales
08-11-2006, 05:59 PM
Whats in my network places then?

The broadband connection and the network card? Highlight both and right mouse on one of them then select bridge connections.

miknz
08-11-2006, 06:09 PM
Whats in my network places then?

The broadband connection and the network card? Highlight both and right mouse on one of them then select bridge connections.

I went in through Network connections, I have my broadband connection under "dial up connections" and the xbox network connection, it wont let me bridge them both

Speedy Gonzales
08-11-2006, 06:12 PM
And what if u highlight the network card icon (not the Xbox one), and the broadband ??

Then select bridge connections?

The monitors on the taskbar are most probably the network and the broadband icons.

miknz
08-11-2006, 06:17 PM
And what if u highlight the network card icon (nolt the XP one), and the broadband ??

Then select bridge connections?

The monitors on the taskbar are most probably the network and the broadband icons.

It wont let me bridge a lan and "dial up" connection, isnt an option when you right click.

Just checked the settings in xbox and it has 192.168.1.2 as my primary dns but nothing in secondary, how do I find out what the secondary is

Speedy Gonzales
08-11-2006, 06:24 PM
Have a read of this (http://www.xbox.com/en-US/support/connecttolive/xbox/homenetworking/step-by-step.htm)

Is the modem a router as well? If it is, it looks like it should have ethernet ports, not just USB.

miknz
08-11-2006, 07:29 PM
Have a read of this (http://www.xbox.com/en-US/support/connecttolive/xbox/homenetworking/step-by-step.htm)

Is the modem a router as well? If it is, it looks like it should have ethernet ports, not just USB.

cheers, that did it!!!

Speedy Gonzales
08-11-2006, 07:35 PM
cheers, that did it!!!

Cool! Good to hear its up and running :thumbs: