PDA

View Full Version : Hibernate or Standby..

ronyville
08-11-2006, 11:46 AM
Just curious ... If you do not want to shut down your pc completely than which is a better option >>> hibernate or standby?

cheers

R2x1
08-11-2006, 12:08 PM
Hibernate is for longer periods, stand-by for relatively short rests. If your hardware/firmware doesn't match the requirements hibernate is just a convoluted switch-off, since it won't restart.

Mike
08-11-2006, 02:30 PM
Hibernate will actually power-down your PC, while standby keeps running. So like R2x1 says, hibernate is for longer periods, and standby for relatively short periods.

Personally I never use standby - computer stays on all day - and use hibernate instead of shut-down over night, as it keeps all the programs running, and starts up again fairly quickly.

Mike.

TGoddard
08-11-2006, 06:22 PM
I use Suse Linux, which calls these what they are. Hibernate and standby are called "Suspend to Disk" and "Suspend to RAM" respectively. Both save the current state of your system and start where you left off. The first saves it to disk, allowing it to turn the power off. The second keeps it in RAM, requiring that a small amount of power be used to keep the memory working. The first is slower to stop and start but consumes no power. The second is faster but requires a trickle of power to keep running. A laptop suspended to RAM will last about a fortnight.

heni72847
08-11-2006, 07:14 PM
although i power off completely at night i do use standby if i know i won't be on the computer for a long period of time eg. turn on in the morning and go out for a whole day etc..

since both hibernate and standby turn my comp's fan off and hdd off
i don't see why you don't want to use standby because it can get your system up and running again so much faster
especially when i have a desktop and i don't have a problem with power getting disconnected

i guess use hybernate if you don't mind the wait when restoring
but if you don't mind the wait... might as well just shutdown fully