PDA

View Full Version : PC Power Problem

hamstar
08-11-2006, 01:31 AM
Hey Guys,

I have a friend with a PC that I out occasionally. Just lately she had it repaired somewhere (can't remember what the repairs were for).

Anyway, she had it at her house and when she turned it on the power LED came on but that was all. I popped it open and found no other device to be turning on, and immediately thought it to be the PSU.

I noticed however that some LEDs on the inside on the mobo would flash and die as if they weren't recieving enough power and the CPU would start to spin, but then spin really slowly and then die.

The thing didn't make a sound.

I took it home and tried it with my own PSU and it started fine, then I tried it with the normal PSU and it started fine too! Obviously I thought it to be a problem and my dad being an electrician, said that she should get her house checked.

I took it back to her house and it still didn't work. I also tried different power points. Since then I have seen her, and it just started working. Then she went on the internet and it crashed and wouldn't start.

I went over again and turned it on, and it wouldn't start. The hard drive just sat there clicking. Restarting it however got it to work fine.

What is going on here? Could it be a bad mobo?
Cheers
Robert

Greg
08-11-2006, 02:23 AM
Those various and inconsistent symptoms can mean several things.

As you suggest - mobo could be knackered. But also RAM, hard drive, or even software could be at fault. Maybe just the cmos battery.

Whatever... definitly time to back up any crucial docs.