PDA

View Full Version : Ordering the correct memory for a motherboard

xmojo1
08-11-2006, 12:32 AM
When you're ordering memory for a motherboard, do you go to the mobo manufacturer's website and look up their memory compatibility chart for the motherboard and base your order on the manufacturer's recommendation? And just how do you go about finding if a PC shop/supplier has the recommended memory? Memory compatibility charts give the module part number and/or component (chip) part number, information which is usually not supplied when you look online at a PC supplier's website.

I ask this because I built a PC back in June which has been randomly rebooting on occasion. I suspected the memory was possibly not compatible for the motherboard. I looked at the component part numbers on the memory chips and compared them to the mobo's manufacturer's memory compatibility chart, and lo and behold, the memory I bought is not listed on the chart. How am I supposed to find compatible memory if seller's websites don't supply the relevant info? Is my only recourse to ask each seller to check their memory modules for the correct part number?

Greg
08-11-2006, 02:25 AM
You can use compatible/generic memory sticks. For example I ran a machine with DSE branded RAM for quite a few years. But a lot of folks recommend only using the higher priced stuff, eg Kingston.