PDA

View Full Version : ihug not up to scratch anymore?

mach
07-11-2006, 06:10 PM
Hi there, I've recently been receiving some pretty bad service from ihug, such as slow connection speeds, frequent random disconnections and all these long mail delays, and I think I've almost come to the point where I'm thinking of changing to another ISP after being with ihug for the last 5 - 6 years. Is there anyone else having similar problems?

If I do decide to switch to another ISP has anyone got any good recommendations? I've been looking at Orcon's new broadband plans lately and they seem pretty good to me but I don't really know anyone currently using them and would really like to know from current Orcon customers what the quality of their services is really like before making the move.

-mach

Speedy Gonzales
07-11-2006, 06:17 PM
Well I'm getting slow downloads, but I think this maybe the site I'm downloading from - Leadtek.

It starts off OK but instead of staying up it goes backwards and stops lol.

The email delay affected most ISP's not just Ihug. This was this spam explosion thing, that was in the paper / news.

My connection speed has been ok (even tho I'm on dialup).

Dont know about Orcon, never been with them.

systm
07-11-2006, 06:21 PM
Like you I was with Ihug for a very long time. I recently changed to Orcon a few weeks ago and can so far tell you I have had no problems. I have had maybe 4 or 5 disconnections with have reconnected immediately, and although the dl speeds arent at max (during peak and non peak times) they are always around 400 to 600kbps which is fine with me. They also have interleaving turned off which is great for gaming and produces excellent latency. They also have very friendly customer service ppl :)

Jen
07-11-2006, 06:21 PM
My connection speed has been ok (even tho I'm on dialup). Yes, but we are on *broadband* and get maybe 4x dialup speed if you are lucky at times.

I've had dreadful download speeds for about 6 weeks now. You get the odd days (or a couple of hours) where you may reach 3/4 of the speed you used to get, but mostly it is very painful.

The email issue was a real problem, but as mentioned it did affect other ISP's but it seemed to hit Ihug pretty hard.

Speedy Gonzales
07-11-2006, 06:43 PM
Yup, its like they've throttled dialup lol.

Before it used to stay about 5.5-5.6 but now its goes to 5.6 then fluctuates, and goes right down then up, but when trying to download from Leadtek's site, it goes right down and stops totally lol.

JJJJJ
07-11-2006, 07:27 PM
Funny,but I've had no trouble with IHug at all. Speed may be down a little but not realy noticable.

linw
07-11-2006, 10:31 PM
I am on the 2Mbs plan and the Ihug test is consistently 1800Kbs. I don't get disconnects that I notice, either, although I bet my router log shows some disconnects and reconnects!

mach
07-11-2006, 11:17 PM
Well after reading the positive feedback above from systm, and having a good read through all the information on the Orcon site, I've decided to sign up with them and see how it goes, because I think my time as an ihug customer is ready to come to an end.

-mach

P.S. Another problem I forgot to mention before is that my usage statistics on the ihug site don't seem to be updating at the moment, just seems to be stuck at the 31st of Oct and isn't showing any usage from back then until now. Anyone else having this problem?