PDA

View Full Version : Pity they chose the wrong region!

johcar
06-11-2006, 09:40 PM
Email newsletter from Woosh today:

"
Woosh, WiMax and Hamilton
Woosh has just announced an exciting new venture in conjunction with the Hamilton City Council.

Woosh plans for Hamilton to become the first mobile WiMax city in New Zealand. WiMAX is the latest international standard in broadband wireless service that progressive cities around the world are beginning to deploy. Woosh intends to see the entire city covered by the end of 2007 or early 2008. The new WiMAX services will offer substantial cost savings for Hamilton residents and could potentially halve the average household’s telecom bill. Woosh does plan to overlay WiMax onto its entire network progressively after the rollout in Hamilton.
"

Should have been Jaffaville!! :D

Plus they reckon Hamilton will be the first city with WiMax - what about Tauranga? And wasn't there talk about something similar in Whangarei? Can't remember who the ISPs were though....

bob_doe_nz
06-11-2006, 09:58 PM
I don't know why Woosh bother really.

I'm on the main road in South Auckland and can't get it, yet just a minutes drive down the road (500 metres) where they filmed the current Goldstein adverts for ASB Bank they can get it.

Whats the point of advertising the merits of Wi-Fi if you cant get in the first place.

johcar
06-11-2006, 10:07 PM
Hmmm... They also mention:

"
Expanding Coverage
Last month we expanded our Wireless broadband coverage into the Eastern Beach, Ellerslie and Otahuhu areas of Auckland.
"

Not sure where you are in South Auckland...

stu161204
06-11-2006, 10:15 PM
Expanding Coverage
Last month we expanded our Wireless broadband coverage into the Eastern Beach, Ellerslie and Otahuhu areas of Auckland.
"

So close, but so far away :(, any way have you seen the price for the technology to get WiMax accoding to: http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/story.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=10409306 its $250!!

pctek
06-11-2006, 10:17 PM
Email newsletter from Woosh today:

"
Woosh, WiMax and Hamilton
[COLOR=#727d84][FONT=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Woosh has just announced an exciting new venture in conjunction with the Hamilton City Council.

Should have been Jaffaville!! :D

Hamilton almost is Jaffaville. Well not far off anyway....:D

And who cares? Woosh sucks.....

johcar
06-11-2006, 10:30 PM
Different strokes for different folks! Woosh meets my needs (for now) - mainly because of their predictable monthly costs for a decent chunk of download gigabytes per month (a very recent innovation for Telecon and the rest - I've had it for two years!), especially since I use a PC Card in my laptop (Telecon and Vodafun equivalents are hugely expensive to run - although admittedly much faster).

The only downside to Woosh is the speed - but then everyone moans about that, no matter who they're with...:D

But that link to the Herald doesn't bode well for cheap access with WiMax! :horrified

roddy_boy
07-11-2006, 12:05 AM
Yeah they had a WiMAX launch in Whangarei not too long ago. $50 for 10Mbps/10Mbps No cap iirc.

You apparently get pretty damn good pings too (<30ms)

Pete O'Neil
07-11-2006, 12:38 PM
WiMax is being trailed in Whangarei, theres another company beside Woosh that is also planning to roll out WiMax in Hamilton. But the other company initially only intends to offer their WiMax solutions to businesses.

One of the biggest problems with Woosh has been that back when they were first setup they chose a really crappy wireless technology to use. Its slow, high response times and its hardware is relatively expensive. WiMax has greater range, and higher speeds so hopefully over time costs for the hardware should reduce too.

Theres existing wireless if your within LOS of the hospital but the coverage is pretty limited. Personally i'm looking forward to see what sort of coverage WiMax can provide in Hamilton, hopefully it will be a viable alternative to DSL.

pico
07-11-2006, 04:16 PM
Woohoo for Hamilton!!! But its going to take a long time, thats the service we need today. By the time the get to market end of next year everyone else will be offering that or better. Probably the only advantage will be the wide roaming wireless connectivity.