PDA

View Full Version : Dailup with AOL

jack19
03-11-2006, 08:23 PM
Is it possible to dial-up AOL with a Broadband account?

sugesstions will be appreciated....

Speedy Gonzales
03-11-2006, 10:02 PM
I dont think NZ has AOL. So, most of us on this forum wouldnt have a clue.

AOL is only in the US isnt it? And this isnt the US.

rogerp
03-11-2006, 10:22 PM
I dont think NZ has AOL. So, most of us on this forum wouldnt have a clue.

AOL is only in the US isnt it? And this isnt the US.

Available in a lot of countries, but not NZ. NZ isn't profitable enough for AOL due to our small population.

stu161204
03-11-2006, 10:33 PM
Welcome to PressF1 jack19 :)

Speedy Gonzales is correct New Zealand does not have AOL, so the most of us wont be able to help you out, sorry.

You may want to contact AOL & ask them.

Sorry we could not be of much help :o .

AOL is only in the US isnt it?

And in Australia & maybe the UK as well.

beama
04-11-2006, 07:56 AM
surfer joe might be able to help if he sees this

SurferJoe46
04-11-2006, 08:39 AM

As I was a member of AOL for a time, I had it's dial-up for a while...but never bothered to get their DSL...but...

The first problem to overcome is that when you dialup, your DEFAULT GATEWAY becomes your dialup ISP.. the DSL connection is still active though, you just cannot get to it!
Solution (Windows):

What is your DSL default gateway IP address? take a note of that. X.X.X.X

What is the IP address of the OFFICE machine you wish to reach?. Y.Y.Y.Y

What is the address of your DIALUP default gateway? Z.Z.Z.Z

Create a .BAT file with the following commands in it:

echo "Pointing back to DSL"
route delete 0.0.0.0
route add 0.0.0.0 mask 0.0.0.0 X.X.X.X metric 1
route add Y.Y.Y.Y mask 255.255.255 Z.Z.Z.Z metric 1

The first command deletes the dialup default gateway entry.
The second command tells your PC the new default route is your DSL line.

The third command says the default route for your office server Y.Y.Y.Y is the dialup line.

If your dialup has reset your DNS server, you may wish to add another route command

route add A.A.A.A mask 255.255.255.255 Z.Z.Z.Z metric 1

where A.A.A.A is your office DNS server, (assuming it can resolve internet addresses).

Another option: The AOL connection allows you to select another connection profile that assumes existing TCP access (a DSL connection), and does not attempt to use the modem to dial AOL. Once you set that up, you can change your pricing plan to move down to the bring your own access option. But...this is full-on DSL!

Read on here too: Windows allows dial access to steal the focus so it is an either/or situation. either you are dsl (or cable), or you are dial access but not both at the same time. there are scripts that allow you to do so, but I am lousy with scripts, and I would have to dial in and out all day and hate to run scripts over and over.

My suggested resolution: Run your dsl through a gateway machine via Wingate ..... aka the poor man's firewall. Your DSL ISP may set up a ruckus if they have it in their contract that you CANNOT RUN A SERVER!!! It might be detected as a server and you'll have some 'splaining to do.

For applications that you want DSL all the time (ws_ftp, IE7, WMP etc.), set up proxy settings and "use the proxy".

For work (which will use dial access and which I assume you are needing to do), go without the proxy.

As an example .....

Use ns 4.7x for usenet and some e-mail; use dial access to get to the specific news servers so ns is the dial access applications and for browsing or selected searching.

Use IE7 and have it setup to connect via the proxy. You can go back and forth between the two ... one 56k and the other dsl.

I don't see any benefit to it however...AOL and it's anti-spyware stuff is just too clumsy and a resourse hog. Remember this too: AOL is just Internet Explorer with different window dressing. All the faults and security issues of IE are running in AOL too.

If you are insistant on using some vestage of AOL however, you can still use the freebees that they allow whilst you are on your DSL side. Just type their URL into the addres bar and have fun...but watch out for nasties.

Of the parts available to anyone:

AIM (why? gads!)
AOL AtHome
MyAol
and others that are not in my mind at the moment.

<Damn, that looks official!>

SurferJoe46
04-11-2006, 08:58 AM
Ignore that last post...the "time-out" got me..so here's the repaired and corrected version:

As I was a member of AOL for a time, I had it's dial-up for a while...but never bothered to get their DSL...but...

The first problem to overcome is that when you dialup, your DEFAULT GATEWAY becomes your dialup ISP..... the DSL connection is still active though..... you just cannot get to it!

Solution (Windows only):

What is your DSL default gateway IP address? Write it down. X.X.X.X

What is the IP address of the machine (your router) you wish to reach?. Y.Y.Y.Y

What is the address of your DIALUP default gateway? Z.Z.Z.Z

Create a .BAT file with the following commands in it:

echo "Pointing back to DSL"
route delete 0.0.0.0
route add 0.0.0.0 mask 0.0.0.0 X.X.X.X metric 1
route add Y.Y.Y.Y mask 255.255.255 Z.Z.Z.Z metric 1

The first command deletes the dialup default gateway entry.

The second command tells your PC the new default route is your DSL line.

The third command says the default route for your default server. Y.Y.Y.Y is the dialup line.

If your dialup has reset your DNS server, you may wish to add another route command:

route add A.A.A.A mask 255.255.255.255 Z.Z.Z.Z metric 1

.....where A.A.A.A is your office DNS server, (assuming it can resolve internet addresses).

Another option: The AOL connection allows you to select another connection profile that assumes existing TCP access (a DSL connection), and does not attempt to use the modem to dial AOL. Once you set that up, you can change your pricing plan to move down to the bring your own access option. But...this is full-on DSL!

Read on here too: Windows allows dial access to steal the focus so it is an either/or situation. either you are dsl (or cable), or you are dial access but not both at the same time. there are scripts that allow you to do so, but I am lousy with scripts, and I would have to dial in and out all day and hate to run scripts over and over.

My suggested resolution: Run your dsl through a gateway machine via Wingate ..... aka the poor man's firewall. Your DSL ISP may set up a ruckus if they have it in their contract that you CANNOT RUN A SERVER!!! It might be detected as a server and you'll have some 'splaining to do.

For applications that you want DSL all the time (ws_ftp, IE7, WMP etc.), set up proxy settings and "use the proxy".

For applications (which will use dial access and which I assume you are needing to do), go without the proxy.

As an example .....

Use NS4.7x for usenet and some e-mail; use dial access to get to the specific news servers so NS is the dial access applications and for browsing or selected searching.

Use IE7 and have it setup to connect via the proxy. You can go back and forth between the two ... one 56k and the other dsl. (Again here, IE is NOT my favorite!)

I don't see any benefit to it however...AOL and it's anti-spyware stuff is just too clumsy and a resourse hog. Remember this too: AOL is just Internet Explorer with different window dressing. All the faults and security issues of IE are running in AOL too.

If you are insistant on using some vestages of AOL however, you can still use the freebees that they allow whilst you are on your DSL side. Just type their URL into the address bar and have fun...but watch out for nasties.

Of the parts available to anyone:

AIM (why? gads!)
AOL AtHome
MyAol
AOL E-mail client
AOL Sessions
and others that are not in my mind at the moment.

<Damn, that looks official!>

jack19
10-11-2006, 08:38 PM
is it possible in "uk"

SurferJoe46
10-11-2006, 09:20 PM
.....don't think so...sorry Mate!

Greg
10-11-2006, 09:37 PM
is it possible in "uk"Your questions is a bit ambiguous. But for many intents and purposes, at least here in NZ, a broadband adsl account also includes a default dialup account. But we pay extra while using the dialup.

Jen
10-11-2006, 10:01 PM
is it possible in "uk"Somehow I don't think so ...after all your IP shows you are from India and this is the second time I have had to remove the commercial website link from your signature. You received an infraction and a clear message from me about the forum rules from when you first did this. But now you went and put the link back into your signature? Hard luck, your account is now banned. Feel free to re-register if you can obey the forum rules.

Funny how the commercial website is also located in India ...