PDA

View Full Version : Shut down

fkapepa
02-11-2006, 11:59 PM
My computer cannot switch off. When I turn off, it writes LOGGING OFF for a vary long time until I just switch it off from the power plug. Please help.
fkapepa

zqwerty
03-11-2006, 12:19 AM
What operating system is it? ie Win98, Win2k or WinXP.

If you have a whole lot of programs running in your Task Bar turn them off manually and see if this helps, if it does, by a process of elimination figure out which program is causing it to hang.

Do you have a number of user profiles on your computer?

pcuser42
03-11-2006, 07:24 AM
Sometimes power failures are the quickest way to shut down Windows. :D

The_End_Of_Reality
03-11-2006, 07:39 AM
Try running a command shutdown.

Start, Run, type "cmd" and when the command consol comes up type "shutdown -s -f" this will display a box giving you 30 seconds to save all your work before it will force all programs to shutdown

Speedy Gonzales
03-11-2006, 07:52 AM
Well switching it off at a power point, while its shutting down, wont make it any better either.

It'll make it worse. And most probably corrupt something in the process.

FoxyMX
03-11-2006, 10:48 AM
When I turn off, it writes LOGGING OFF for a vary long time until I just switch it off from the power plug.

If you mean you turn the switch off at the wall, don't do that. Just hold the computer's power button down for up to 10 seconds until it powers itself off.

Master_Frost
03-11-2006, 12:08 PM
Download "Superfast" shutdown. I use it from time to time. Very small program also has "Superfast" reboot, Definitely more kind than ripping the power out or holding the button in for 10 secs.

http://www.topshareware.com/Super-Fast-Shutdown-download-14203.htm

Erayd
03-11-2006, 12:16 PM
Also if you pull the power (or hold the power button) you risk data corruption if the disk cache hasn't yet been written. Remember that Windows does not have a journalling filesystem either.

pctek
03-11-2006, 02:44 PM
Its because Windows is trying to close some running process - and can't..

I'd be doing a spyware check.