PDA

View Full Version : Do pages load faster in Firefox, or Opera?

caffy
02-11-2006, 05:18 PM
Just a basic question.

Am interested in your views because I've been using Firefox for at least 2 years now, but the other week I switched to Opera because a mate (also an ex-Firefox user) raved on how good and better it was.

I've noticed that pages (on the first attempt) seem to take longer to load - in some cases they don't load at all. When this happens, either an error message comes up, or it just keeps trying to load the website and is still at it 5 or 10 minutes later. When I stop it and re-enter the URL address, it loads almost immediately.

Is this normal for Opera, or is there something wrong it?
I'm feeling that I will probably go back to Firefox anyway, because the time it takes for pages to load is frustrating!

cheers,
caffy

FoxyMX
02-11-2006, 07:39 PM
Opera and Firefox are pretty much neck and neck when it comes to speed. Some sites load noticeably faster in one than the other but it varies.

Are you running the latest version of Opera, 9.02? That version is known to have issues with some computers for various reasons which may be why you are experiencing problems. On this machine 9.02 runs fine but I had to remove it and go back to 8.54 on the other box as it didn't like it at all and I have no idea why. There are lots of posts on Opera's forums with different fixes but none worked for me.

Reverting back to 8.54 isn't a problem, however, and it runs as sweet as a dream, so you might like to try that version if you are keen. It would be a shame to give up on it without letting it have a chance to prove itself.

caffy
02-11-2006, 08:58 PM
Yes I'm using the latest version, where can I find the older version?

FoxyMX
02-11-2006, 10:16 PM
It will be floating around on the internet somewhere but to save myself the bother of searching I have uploaded a copy here (http://www.topazz.orcon.net.nz/files/ow32enen854.exe).

After uninstalling the current version you will need to also remove your current Opera folder from Program Files and in Documents and Settings before installing the older version.

Will be interested to know how you get on with it.

caffy
02-11-2006, 10:55 PM
Cheers for that, I'm also looking forward to see how it goes - just a few minutes ago i tried to visit a website that i know works for sure, there was an error message, even refreshing the tab and opening a new opera window would not solve the problem. So tried in firefox, it works.

I'll install it tmw as off to bed now, early start.

Will keep you posted.

caffy
03-11-2006, 07:50 PM
i just installed the older version of Opera and it still loads slowly. And sometimes the page does not fully load, so I'm going to ditch this and go back to Firefox. Thanks for your help though. Shame it did not work for me.

Cheers
caffy