PDA

View Full Version : Recovering a messed up HDD

mors_sum
02-11-2006, 04:58 PM
Hi,
After finally getting my new motherboard in and working, I set about installing XP. Due in part to very messy partitioning, and windows not seeing drives in the right order, I had to muck around a bit in Pmagic. Now while this worked out fine for my boot drive (a 300 gig SATA) and my 160 gig IDE drive, however my (full) 320 gig SATA drive now shows up a partition error, "error 110", in Pmagic when booted from a CD. At the moment I don't have this drive plugged in, because I don't want to break it from XP before I know what I'm doing. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to whether this error is fixable, and what tool would be the best one to use?

Speedy Gonzales
02-11-2006, 05:08 PM
Did u format in NTFS, not FAT32??

Pete O'Neil
02-11-2006, 05:20 PM
Pmagic has a tendency to report drives as corrupted even if Windows can read it. If youve got enough spare space, plug the drive in and if Windows can read it , back the data up and do a clean format.

mors_sum
02-11-2006, 06:03 PM
OK, I'll try plugging it in and seeing what windows says. But there is no way at all for me to back it all up, this is a full 320 gig drive and I don't feel like buying and burning 70 DVDs.
And yes, this is all formated in NTFS....

mors_sum
02-11-2006, 06:09 PM
Ummmm......lol? You're right, windows sees it fine, no problems at all........

Pete O'Neil
02-11-2006, 07:32 PM
Might be an idea to some how back up the data, if Pmagic thinks its corrupt then chances are the drives on its way to being corrupt. Might be time to find a friend with a spare 320gb or start buying some DVDs as you could be on your way to losing your data.