PDA

View Full Version : What size PSU to get?

xmojo1
02-11-2006, 02:33 PM
Hi,

I'm thinking about my next PC build and I've put together a list of the hardware I want to put into it. What size PSU would be the minimum to run these components:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz LGA775
Intel DP965LTCK ATX motherboard
Corsair Value Select 2GB DC Kit DDR2 533MHz CL4 2x1024MB
Western Digital 160GB 7200rpm Serial ATA
Western Digital 400GB 7200rpm Serial ATA
Sapphire Radeon X1950 Pro 256MB
LiteOn SOHW-1693S Dual Layer 16X

snoopy
02-11-2006, 02:47 PM
http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculator.jsp

or

http://www.journeysystems.com/power_supply_calculator.php

Billy T
02-11-2006, 03:07 PM
Don't try to select a PSU by numbers, next to the CPU, it is the heart and soul of your system.

Buy the best quality product and the highest power rating you can reasonably afford. I have repaired hundreds of switching PSUs of many types, not necessarily related to computers, and quality always shines through.

Get a big-name brand of at least 500W capacity and you will have reliable power for the life of your computer, lightning strikes and overloads excepted.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Pete O'Neil
02-11-2006, 03:32 PM
If you budget is tight then a 500w model is probably a bit excessive for that build. Antec, Enermex and Silverstone all make quality PSU's, any of their model around 400w-500w would be ideal. Make sure whatever PSU you buy has the correct connectors etc.

Out of curriousity why are you buying an Intel motherboard? Granted they have a good reputation for stability, but you normally pay through the tooth for them.

xmojo1
02-11-2006, 10:58 PM
Out of curriousity why are you buying an Intel motherboard? Granted they have a good reputation for stability, but you normally pay through the tooth for them.

The Intel mobo I've selected is actually one of the cheapest P965 motherboards listed on Pricespy. I did consider the Abit AB9, but that board is $100 more expensive. Basically, as you said, the Intel board has a rep for stability. I'm not an overclocker, so I don't need a board big on features. Also, for its price, the Intel board includes onboard Firewire, and none of the other brands in the price range of the Intel include Firewire. This computer I'm building will double as a modest gaming and video-editing machine.