PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu - how do I get it to boot?

andy
02-11-2006, 11:35 AM
I want to give Linux a try so I got an Ubuntu disk (ver 6.6 LTS) and have tried to install it several times with no success. I have a clean 20 Gb HDD. I can get Ubuntu to run from the cd but when I go through the install procedure the pc won't boot (no bootable disk). Does this software not format the drive and make it bootable? Do I have to install Windows first? - seems a crazy thing to have to do! Any suggestions?

andy

kjaada
02-11-2006, 11:42 AM
Have u got windows on another drive as well or is Ubuntu going to be yr only OS.

SurferJoe46
02-11-2006, 02:26 PM
I use Ubuntu on a dual-boot with XP-Pro thru the grub installer.

It allows me to have both at the same time..although Ubuntu took the default boot position.

Xtra_Slow
02-11-2006, 02:38 PM
I assume you have done the obvious checks like

Make sure hard drive appears in the BIOS on your PC
Best to make the drive is master on the IDE channel

Not being there its hard to say whats wrong but if you dont find the answer here try http://ubuntuforums.org and #ubuntu or #ubuntu-nz on IRC (Freenode server) - a wealth on info on those resources

Hope this helps

beama
02-11-2006, 04:01 PM
been a while since I installed ubuntu
but if I remeber correctly its a two stage install

copy packages to H/D reboot

install os using packages copied in stage one
which stage are you at

kjaada
02-11-2006, 07:16 PM
The install of 6.06 is the same as most installs.Boot with the DVD and follow the instructions.

R2x1
03-11-2006, 02:21 AM
Is the disk you have a "Live" disk, or an installation disk?

"I can get Ubuntu to run from the cd but..."

A "live" cd may not install in a very straightforward manner.

SurferJoe46
03-11-2006, 04:40 AM
Is the disk you have a "Live" disk, or an installation disk?

"I can get Ubuntu to run from the cd but..."

A "live" cd may not install in a very straightforward manner.

The INSTALL option will be on the desktop when you are running the LIVE version...it was there for me and the other installs I did for other people.

Are you for sure trying to run the correct version? There are some for Athlon or Pent types, and then there's the sound card and vid card considerations too.

I DID need different LIVE versions for the various processors I ran into and had to change the display default for my own vid card. It can be confusing....just stick with it; after all you learned Windows once....right?:thumbs:

kjaada
03-11-2006, 06:21 AM
Well !! I live and learn cause I installed by booting the CD and have had minor problems since and now understand why.

andy
03-11-2006, 04:22 PM
Thanks for all the replies. Sorry about the delay in getting back to you - work interferes with life so much!
This is my "play" pc. The HDD has had Windows on it before but I reformatted and unpartitioned it using Seagate's utilities. It is a 20 Gb drive. It is the only drive on the machine and is recognised in the bios.
The machine has an Sempron 2600 processor on an ASUS mobo. How do I tell whether I have an AMD or Intel version of Ubuntu?
As I said, the live Ubuntu disk runs sweet. The video and sound both work fine when the live cd version of Ubuntu is booted.
I can boot from it and go to the install facility. The install process runs fine, partitions and puts files onto the HDD. When finished (takes about half an hour) it says to take out the cd and reboot. I do this and the bios error comes up that there is no system disk, so it appears that the HDD is not bootable.
I am confused - DOS was never like this!

Graham L
03-11-2006, 04:26 PM
Linux installing routines are probably not as thoroughly tested as the Windows ones. :D

The problem could be that the disk doesn't have any MS boot sector on it (which would normally be modified to start Linux loader).

Try making one: FDISK /MBR from a Windows (or DOS) boot floppy or CD might be enough.

Pete O'Neil
03-11-2006, 04:31 PM
How do I tell whether I have an AMD or Intel version of Ubuntu?

There arent AMD or Intel versions, theres 32bit and 64bit version. It just so happens that the 64bit version is refered to as AMD64 as it was AMD that first release a 64bit instruction set for desktop PC's.

Having the wrong version would be unlikely to stop the PC from booting, problems would arise later as Linux starts to boot. Have you made sure that all BIOS settings are correct? e.g Its set to boot from hdd?

If the Linux installation finishes without error then chances are its not Linux at fault. Are you sure that the hdd isnt damaged?

andy
03-11-2006, 06:39 PM
I'll reload Windows, try that, and then start again without reformatting the disk. Will let you know.
Cheers.

Antmannz
03-11-2006, 08:49 PM
Check to see how your hard drive and CD/DVD is set up.

If you have a SATA hard drive and the CD/DVD is on the primary ATA connection Ubuntu will not boot after installation. Remove the CD/DVD ATA ribbon from the motherboard connector and try booting.