PDA

View Full Version : music files

jayal
31-10-2006, 08:25 PM
I'm having difficulty copying (burning?) mp3 files from my hard drive to a blank CD-RW, - i believe .cda is the format for cd players - tried "Nero" at first, unsuccessfully, then found a free download and reg. of "Ashampoo Burning Studio 5" (a google search will show anyone the site) - same result with both programmes - when attempting to copy the files both programmes appear to be doing just that - in win expl D drive shows content i.e. track01.cda etc. to track21.cda - click on any of these and it plays - click properties and the disk is empty(???) - try it in my stereo or car and there's no recognition i.e. blank, nothing plays - i'm trying to make a cd to play the music from the computer in the car - am i missing something? - can someone please get me on the right track?

Chemical Ali
31-10-2006, 08:28 PM
You want to burn them as WAV files not CDA.
These will then play fine so long as your car stereo can read burnt CD-Rs okay -- odds on it should.

Speedy Gonzales
31-10-2006, 08:29 PM
And how are you doing it in Nero??

You dont copy MP3's as is, to a cd and expect it to work, it wont.

Did u select Nero Express or select Audio CD in Nero add the MP3's and then burn them?

You didnt format the cd before u tried burning did u?? As you dont format before you make an audio cd. I would also use CDR's not CDRW's.

If whatever u want to play it in, can play MP3's make an MP3 cd instead.

You'll get more MP3's on the CD. Nero will convert MP3's to CDA format, once it finishes burning the MP3's. Or MP3's as is, if you make an MP3 CD.

Chemical Ali
31-10-2006, 08:41 PM
It's a bigger 'if' though that your car CD player supports the playing of MP3 files however ...
If it does then yep, burn as MP3 as you will get more on the CD

jayal
31-10-2006, 08:49 PM
chemical ali - re wav, Nero doesn't have that option & car don't play mp3s

speedy, like this :- select CD - make audio cd - add - select - add - finished - next - burn

gradebdan
31-10-2006, 09:09 PM
This is one area where I have been very pleased how well everything works. I have made many CDs from MP3s (in my comp.)to play in my car. I only use CDRs not CDRWs.Nero does not advise using CDRWs.... All programs...Ahead...Nero burning rom...CLICK CD...CLICK COMPILE A NEW CD...CLICK AUDIO CD...CLICK FINISH, Drag and drop the mp3 music you want then click Burn. This has never failed to produce a good quality(to my ears) music CDa that has played on all cars and home that I have tried it on.

jayal
31-10-2006, 10:10 PM
gradebdan, can't find what you refer to - incidentally i did get to save one file (was testing) on a CD-R disc - i only have one of, and can't get rid of the sole file, keeps saying it's read only and won't go away
(how can i get rid of it speedy? tried safe mode too) and rejects it when i try to add to it saying i should insert a RW disc - how to get nero to convert mp3s to CDAs?

Speedy Gonzales
01-11-2006, 07:22 AM
Well thats what CDR means.

Once u write to it, u can delete files from it, (from within Nero), BUT once u delete files from a CDR, the space it / they took up on the CD, you wont get back.

And like I said previously, you DON'T format blank CD's before you burn MP3's to it, otherwise it'll screw the CD up.

Which, by the sounds of it you did (you formatted the CD)?

It'll be a data CD. NOT an audio CD. You'll have to buy some more blank CDR's.

And unless multisession is (or was)l ticked in Nero (from when u added this 1 MP3, if its an MP3), and you finalised it (burned it), there's not much else u can do. You cant add to it, or delete that 1 file from it.

jayal
01-11-2006, 08:31 AM
speedy,as such i didn't format it'cause there's no facilityto do that, like in a dropdown menu, but i did try to clean it up (whatever that means??) - it is a data discbut also has Music/Photos on the cover - none the less i'll throw it away and get some more and retry - i'm grateful for your help speedy, thank you

jayal
01-11-2006, 10:22 AM
speedy, Bingo! thanks again, new disc and no problems

Sadhu
19-11-2006, 05:01 AM
I have tried burning audio files to CD using Media Player, and Nero (and older version), and it fails to burn track information that's available on commercial CD Music ... such as Title, Artist, Album Name, Genre. One can open the music, and everything is unknown. And in Media Player, one can look it up if it is in the appropriate national database ... online, but none of these programs allow you to burn the track information along with the music.

I was told that Roxio Media Creator 9 allowed you to look up the data in the natinoal online database and then burn it along with the music ... when burning the new CD copy. But I was also told that any tracks that I myself authored and created couldn't be burned with any of the track information when using Roxio Version 9.

Does anyone know what software will allow for the burning of Track information data. Say for example, I put in the information into Cakewalk and export the data as a wmv or mp3 file. That file has the track information. But if I go to burn it to CD or DVD, it doesn't have the data any longer. This sucks. Does anything allow me to copy the track info along with the music?

Thanks in advance.

- Sadhu.

rob_on_guitar
20-11-2006, 04:39 AM
when your ready to burn, go through the options, there should be one for adding track info. I cant access mine at the mo but when I get home (at 8am lol) Ill have a look.

Sadhu
20-11-2006, 11:51 AM
Thanks for your reply Rob, but you didn't mention what software you burn with. Do you burn with Nero or Roxio. And do you know for a fact that you can add the track information.

By the way, you probably know this but it's worth repeating that burning from Media Playe or perhaps even other software and checking the CD after the copying the songs to the new CD ... doesn't always prove the song track information is there ... on the disc For example, say that the songs you are burning are sitting there in your library with all the track information. Media player will fetch the information from the library (not from the disc). One knows this is true because if you put that same disc in a different computer that doesn't already have the songs ripped to the library, Media Player doesn't know what those songs are ... it lists them as untitled.

So my question is ... have you tried checking on a different computer that doesn't already have things songs and the track information in the library? This would prove that you can burn the information to the disc. Otherwise, it doesn't really prove you are actually doing this ... since Media Player will pull the information from library.

- r.

Speedy Gonzales
20-11-2006, 12:05 PM
You need a program that uses CDDB, so it can get the information / tracks / name of whatever of the CD, from the net. Thats if the name of the cd etc is in the online database.

This saves u from entering the information in manually.

Unless whatever you're going to play the CD in, supports CD Text, it doesnt matter if it doesnt show the name of the track / name of the song etc or not.

Coz it wont appear. After u burn them.

SurferJoe46
20-11-2006, 12:20 PM
I too had a little problem with MP3 to CD and back to MP3 formats, and in the learning curve generated a 200 place setting of matching hot/cold drink coasters for my wife. :D

One of the problems in many cd-players is that the laser beam for read is weak...my son turns the voltage up a little and they play RW's fine. :thumbs: