PDA

View Full Version : Slow Taskbar Icons

pctek
31-10-2006, 11:54 AM
Anything that would make Taskbar Icons take an age to finish appearing?
No new ones, minimal number, no malware, didn't use to do it.

And cause someone will ask anyway:

Zone ALarm
AVG
Sound
Ghost Security

None are new versions, all were there for ages, its only recently they take ages....

CYaBro
31-10-2006, 12:09 PM
HDD ok?

pctek
31-10-2006, 12:39 PM
Yes. Its a Seagate.

zqwerty
31-10-2006, 03:39 PM
If there are a lot of icons on the desktop you should increase the size of the Icon Cache.

pctek
31-10-2006, 04:53 PM
If there are a lot of icons on the desktop you should increase the size of the Icon Cache.

Thats nice but irrelevant to the question.

Jen
31-10-2006, 05:09 PM
What happens if you disable the apps in the systray from loading at startup one at a time?

This application will assist seeing whether something loading in the background is slowing things down - Sysinternals Autoruns (http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/Autoruns.html)

CYaBro
31-10-2006, 09:23 PM
Yes. Its a Seagate.

You have a lot of faith in Seagate aye? I don't trust any hard drive brand but do prefer Seagate over all the rest. Their hard drive testing software is the best and easiest to use too :thumbs:

I think Jen is on the right track.
Even running HijackThis might show up something.

pctek
01-11-2006, 10:50 AM
You have a lot of faith in Seagate aye? I don't trust any hard drive brand but do prefer Seagate over all the rest.

Yep. Years of observation. Not to say you never get a dead one but the least of all current HDDs.

I've got him to do that, remove them one at a time to see if one is delaying things. Nope.
Of course you have the whole lot off its not a problem.
But individually they don't seem to be hogging things.
Thats why I've posted this query - beats me.......

pctek
01-11-2006, 10:59 AM
This application will assist seeing whether something loading in the background is slowing things down - Sysinternals Autoruns (http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/Autoruns.html)

Hey thats interesting Jen, I ran it on my PC, apart form the ones I knew about I had rdpclip.exe loading too.
Its a Windows Terminal Server thing....hmmmm.