PDA

View Full Version : computer dying

MACIAN
27-10-2006, 08:09 PM
My computer has been on its knees for the last few weeks with it freezing for 10 or 20 seconds from time to time. Things have taken a turn for the worse whenever I use My Computer/Explore with a blue screen and the words
"A problem has been detected and windows is shutting down. A process or thread critical to system operations has unexpectedly shut down. .......Beginning physical memery dump"

the computer eventually reboots but hangs just after checking the IDE drives. The only way to make it boot properly is to turn it off and then on again.

Another problem is that it wants to check the C and D drives. It used to hang on the D drive check but I reformatted the D drive which has solved that problem. The computer still wants to check C drive but hangs at 0% complete if I let it do the check.

My first thought was that the SATA drive could be failing but I am not sure if it is WIndows. Note that so long as I don't explore or try to save things the computer tends to run OK

The computer is a 3500 Athalon with 1 gig of memery and Windows XP Professional. I have installed Service Pack 2 last year when I first built the machine and have kept updating with the various updates from Microsoft.

sorry about the double post.

pctek
27-10-2006, 08:33 PM
Check your ram with memtest.

Check the HDD - use the manufacturers checking software - usually by booting off a CD and running the checks.

Lastly check the O/S.