PDA

View Full Version : Slooooooweeeer and sssssslllllllooooooowwwweeeerrrrrr..

biophage
26-10-2006, 02:50 PM
Hi
I have a relativelty new PC (6 months old), with 3800+ dual core 64 bit AMD, two hard drives (not raided at all), and all the usual fruit.
I've loaded quite a few programs, but only have a few opening on power up, and sitting ready in the system tray - most have an icon on the desktop though.
I have now loaded Norton system works - with Ghost, and wow the PC now takes ages to boot and even after selecting user takes a looooong time to set up the desktop and get rid of the eggtimer.
My question is - whats norton done to my system or is it something else? does having lots of icons on my desktop slow the PC down? and also is there a way I can have different desktops (like pages) for different functions I do - like work, music making, video editing photography?

Thank you, Phil.:groan:

Overdrive_5000
26-10-2006, 03:13 PM
norton is a major resource hog I would get rid of it, if it was me

SurferJoe46
26-10-2006, 03:20 PM
Just use the SEARCH option in the header toolbar and see 4urself.....this site has a lot of info on Norton - Symantec - McAfee...and rightly so....

stu161204
26-10-2006, 03:44 PM
Welcome to PressF1 biophage :)

pcuser42
26-10-2006, 04:14 PM
and also is there a way I can have different desktops (like pages) for different functions I do - like work, music making, video editing photography?

Microsoft has a Powertoy to do this, but only on XP. http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx

ooh yeh
26-10-2006, 05:51 PM
use ccleaner to clean up all the prefetch files etc

R2x1
26-10-2006, 10:20 PM
Hi
. . . is there a way I can have different desktops (like pages) for different functions I do - like work, music making, video editing photography?

Pretty much a standard feature in Linux, people just take it for granted:thumbs:

In the same way, slow is pretty much a standard Norton feature(?) Not like when Peter Norton was at the helm when small, efficient , quick etc. were the Norton hallmark.:(

jesse_jax
26-10-2006, 10:52 PM
just uninstall it/turn it off and see if that makes a dif? if not then norton has royally ****z0red your comp and your gonna have to reformat, good day.