PDA

View Full Version : Windows Updating From Server 2000

Waynz
25-10-2006, 08:41 AM
Hi

I'am looking at trying to have all the computer on the network get their Windows update from the server.

I have looked around the net and Mircosoft has a program called: Windows Server Update Services 3.0 Beta 2 and an older program called Microsoft Software Update Service (SUS)

Are these programs easy to install?
Are they the best?
What if any other programs are there?
What is the lastest from microsoft is there? (I found one site talk about: Microsoft Essentials 2007)

Cheers Wayne :thumbs:

TGoddard
25-10-2006, 09:31 AM
You see the word "beta"? If you're the IT guy for a business and decide to use this it's your fault when the updates are screwed up, the server crashes or all the computers fail and you get fired.

If this is home use or for your own business and you're aware of the risks you can balance these against the benefits.

CYaBro
25-10-2006, 10:29 AM
I have installed WSUS and SUS in the past.
WSUS in the new version of SUS. SUS will stop working from December this year I think. (Reminds me I need to update our server here at work :yuck: )
WSUS is pretty easy to install. I just followed the instructions available on Microsofts website.
Once installed you just open up a web page in Internet Explorer to configure it.

Pretty sure you need to be running Windows Server 2003 or SBS 2003 to use WSUS though so it won't work on your Windows 2000 Server.

I just installed SBS 2003 R2 on a test machine here in the workshop and it now includes WSUS as part of the R2 set.

berryb
25-10-2006, 02:55 PM
I think WSUS will install on Win Server 2000 SP4. I have it on a server 2003 and works great.

SolMiester
25-10-2006, 03:53 PM
Installed WSUS on 2003 server here, You will need to also install IIS and .Net fram2work 2. Each machine will have to go to microsoft.com site for updated version of wuauclt.exe