PDA

View Full Version : Problems with SATA Hard Drive

tojira
21-10-2006, 06:22 PM
The drive in question is a 200GB SATA Hard Drive. It doesn't seem to be detected however. For some reason when the drive is plugged in it takes a much longer amount of time than usual on the initial startup screen. So something must be happening although I have no idea what.

Another thing is that in the middle of the drive (around that little inner circle thing) there is a small patch (only comes out about 5mm) of white hardened liquid... stuff. Maybe it's just glue, I really don't know. Does this mean I've somehow screwed up my hard drive? I'm not too fussed about that if I have. I'd just like to know whether I have any chance of getting this thing going or not. I've had it since some time last year so I wouldn't be able to return it.

I also have an 80GB drive as my primary drive. So this thing would be running alongside it.

My specs if relevant:

Athlon 64 3200+ CPU
Albatron KM51PV Motherboard
1024MB DDR RAM
GeForce 6800GS 256MB PCIE
Enermax 480W PSU
80GB IDE Hard Drive
16x DVDROM Drive
52x/32x/52x CDRW Drive

Speedy Gonzales
21-10-2006, 06:30 PM
Have u connected the power and data cable to the SATA?

motorbyclist
22-10-2006, 04:43 PM
got sata drivers?

that glue is on the outside right? (cause if you opened it...)

FrankS
27-10-2006, 09:17 AM
Theory and Practice, the twain do not always meet

motorbyclist
27-10-2006, 04:39 PM
Is this a new drive? I'd be sending it back for replacement....

but first, to save $15, try the hdd in another machine if you can, just to check if it is infact the drive rather than your compy

motorbyclist
27-10-2006, 05:10 PM
ok, looks like pf1 is down again:annoyed:

tojira
28-10-2006, 01:16 AM
got sata drivers?

that glue is on the outside right? (cause if you opened it...)

Ah god, I completely forgot I even made this thread! So sorry, that's never happened before :S!

Anyway yes the glueish white stuff is on the outside, around the center of the disc. Don't worry I wouldn't go opening anything though :). I might post a pic if I can later.

It's been awhile since I last tried to get this thing going, and I think I may have looked into SATA drivers but if I installed all the drivers that came with my motherboard I should have them right? Anyway I'll definitely look into this. Don't have the time right now, but I'll post here again when I've got more information.

And Speedy Gonzales, yes I have connected the cables :).

In the meantime has anyone got any other ideas?

EDIT: Errr, well it seems my memory's been awful recently. I had a mental image of white glue-like stuff on a disc on the bottom of the hard drive, when in fact (now I look at it >_>) there is no disc on the bottom of the hard drive :p. Ahem, anyway I'll have to upload a pic as I really can't explain it.

motorbyclist
28-10-2006, 01:29 AM
Ah god, I completely forgot I even made this thread! So sorry, that's never happened before :S!

lol once i forgot to subscribe to my own thread, and as a result didnt check it for a week

In the meantime has anyone got any other ideas?

i hear the platters male a good windchime, and if you do take em out, be sure not to touch em with bare hands as it ruins the shininess instantly :thumbs:

tojira
28-10-2006, 01:37 AM
Ok here it is:

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e212/phaarix/glueystuff.jpg

EDIT:

i hear the platters male a good windchime, and if you do take em out, be sure not to touch em with bare hands as it ruins the shininess instantly :thumbs:

Aww great, now I'm really liking my chances of getting this thing going :p!

Thanks for the quick reply though :D.

motorbyclist
28-10-2006, 01:44 AM
Aww great, now I'm really liking my chances of getting this thing going :p!

well on the bright side (ignoring the flash from your camera) that glue is infact glue.. i will post more info at a more reasonable hour... unless you would like instructions on how to make a windchime from a harddrive? :D in the meantime, talk like a pirate (http://www.loadingreadyrun.com/showmovie.php?x=480&y=360&url=talklikepirate.mov)!

pctek
28-10-2006, 08:48 AM
The drive in question is a 200GB SATA Hard Drive. It doesn't seem to be detected however. For some reason when the drive is plugged in it takes a much longer amount of time than usual on the initial startup screen.

Another thing is that in the middle of the drive (around that little inner circle thing) there is a small patch (only comes out about 5mm) of white hardened liquid... stuff.

Is this a new drive? I'd be sending it back for replacement....

FrankS
28-10-2006, 10:21 AM
What make is the SATA?. WD give a 5 year guarantee plus that they are compatible with THEIR IDE drives. Suggest check on makers site(s) that the SATA is compatible with the IDE.

Speedy Gonzales
28-10-2006, 10:31 AM
What make is the SATA?. WD give a 5 year guarantee plus that they are compatible with THEIR IDE drives. Suggest check on makers site(s) that the SATA is compatible with the IDE.

Say what?

It doesnt matter what make the IDE and SATA hdd's are. If the mobo supports IDE and SATA, both should work, regardless of what the brand of hdd is, thats connected to it.

tojira
30-10-2006, 10:20 PM
Well it's not new anymore really. I bought it early this year but sort of forgot about it after I couldn't get it to go at first. I thought "well eventually I'll sit down for a couple of days and see if I can get it to work". But I never did.

It's a Seagate I'm pretty sure. Though I'd have to check to be absolutely sure. For now lets say it's a Seagate :p (I'm 95% sure it is anyway).

My MoBo manual says it will support both IDE and SATA (I and II).

And sorry about my slow replies. It's nearing the end of my 7th form year at school (just 2 weeks left before exam leave), and I've been very busy catching up on all the stuff I should have done during the course of the year :p.

craig.b
31-10-2006, 04:35 PM
Have you enabled SATA in your motherboards BIOS? You should see an extra drive detection screen that is specific to the SATA drive, and may or may not mention RAID, depending on the motherboard.

Speedy Gonzales
31-10-2006, 04:44 PM
Well it's not new anymore really. I bought it early this year but sort of forgot about it after I couldn't get it to go at first. I thought "well eventually I'll sit down for a couple of days and see if I can get it to work". But I never did.

It's a Seagate I'm pretty sure. Though I'd have to check to be absolutely sure. For now lets say it's a Seagate :p (I'm 95% sure it is anyway).

My MoBo manual says it will support both IDE and SATA (I and II).

And sorry about my slow replies. It's nearing the end of my 7th form year at school (just 2 weeks left before exam leave), and I've been very busy catching up on all the stuff I should have done during the course of the year :p.

Well if the mobo manual says it support SATA 1 and 2, the link you gave isnt for your mobo. Or you're reading the wrong manual.

Agent_24
31-10-2006, 05:17 PM
yeah that glue is meant to be there. it stops the wires that feed power to the motor from falling off. Most hard drives have some sort of glue stuff in that location.

tojira
31-10-2006, 07:07 PM
yeah that glue is meant to be there. it stops the wires that feed power to the motor from falling off. Most hard drives have some sort of glue stuff in that location.

Ah thanks so much that's a relief! At least it's ok in that respect. I've got a lot more motivation to try and get it working now :D.

Well if the mobo manual says it support SATA 1 and 2, the link you gave isnt for your mobo. Or you're reading the wrong manual.

I don't recall giving any links :S. But I can assure you it does support SATA, and that I was reading from the right manual :).

Have you enabled SATA in your motherboards BIOS? You should see an extra drive detection screen that is specific to the SATA drive, and may or may not mention RAID, depending on the motherboard.

I've looked around the BIOS quite a lot to try and find something that might help, I can't find anything but I really can't call myself an expert on BIOS! I'll have another look to see if I've missed anything...